PDA

View Full Version : custom label in a titleblock

Martin P
2003-10-10, 09:36 AM
Right, I am completely stumped - what is the problem creating a custom field in a titleblock...as far as I can make out I have done exactly what the help file tells me to do, and it simply does not work... I get no field to edit the label once I load my title block, I can edit it in the family, but nothing is there when I load it.

custom annotations ought to be easy!!! I hate this sort of thing, ruins my day.

Anyway.... here is what I am doing
From the File menu, choose New, Annotation Symbol or New, Titleblock.
In the Open dialog box, select the appropriate template for the family you are creating. (which would be generic annotation?? this is what I pick - all want is a new field in a titleblock)The Family Editor opens.

In the Family Editor click Label from the Design Bar or choose Label from the Drafting menu. (ok done that)

Note: If you are creating a generic annotation, you actually create new parameters in the dialog box. Click New and in the Field Properties dialog box, type a parameter name. From the Type drop-down menu, choose Text, Number, or Length. Select to include the parameter in either the annotation's instance properties or type properties. Click OK to complete.
Enter the text to display with the label in the Family Editor. What you enter does not affect the label in the project; it is simply placeholder text. Click OK.

(Right - i have now got my label created, with the parameter I want.)
(Next)

THE HELP FILE NOW GOES FROM THIS TO LOADING THE TITLEBLOCK INTO THE PROJECT?? WHAT, WHERE IS THE BIT I ACTUALLY NEED HELP WITH!!!???

Applying the Label to a Titleblock in the Project
In the project, choose Load Family From Library from the File menu to load the newly created titleblock.
Create a sheet using the titleblock.
The new sheet view opens with the label you created in the titleblock family.(oh?, that is odd as I havent been near the sheet following this help file?)
Select the label and click Properties.
From the Instance properties list, locate the parameter you defined for the family and enter a value for it.
Click OK

titleblock comes in, label is blank and un editable. I tried varions things but it wont work. Is this why the help files completely misses it out - because it cant be done??
Anyway sorry for the rant, but I am getting very frustrated by this. any help would be appreciated...

Martin

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-10, 10:54 AM
Have your re-loaded this new titleblock a few times? Try deleting(purging) it entirely, then re-load and see if t behaves.

Also are you selecting the sheet object and trying to edit the parameter? Shared parameters in sheet families are actually added to the "VIEW" so to edit yours you need to edit the view properties not the sheet's properties. I've done this on several titleblocks, I could email you one to try if that would help?

Hope I'm understanding the issue.

LRaiz
2003-10-10, 01:15 PM
When creating new title block do not start with generic annotation template. Start with any of the tempales that are specifically provided for title blocks. Template files are in Imperial Templates | Titleblocks and Metric Templates | Tetleblocks folders.

Hope that will work for you.

David Conant
2003-10-10, 03:10 PM
1. Work directly in your existing or new titleblock family, not in a nested family
2. Start the label tool and place a label. When the dialog asks you to select a parameter for the label, pick the ADD button and then Select a shared parameter
3. If you don't already have one, create a new shared parameter of the desired type. You can set it to instance if you want to enter the value sheet by sheet, or type if you want the value to be the same for all sheets using this titleblock.
3. Finish the titleblock, save it and reload into the project. You should now see the label. In the view, go to View Properties to modify the value.

Nic M.
2003-10-10, 03:39 PM
... You can set it to instance if you want to enter the value sheet by sheet, or type if you want the value to be the same for all sheets using this titleblock.

David,
I dont see the option for instance or type. Can you shed some light please.
I have custom labels in my titleblock but have to enter the value in every sheet.
Thanks

Nic M.
2003-10-10, 03:45 PM
Maybe you are confused with a rel 6.0 option :wink:

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-10, 03:48 PM
I too have only instance parameters and would love project wide instead...can you clarify?

David Conant
2003-10-10, 04:09 PM
Apologies, it was not 6.0 that I was getting mixed with. It was inside the titleblock family itself where you can add a family parameter as a type parameter to the Family Types list. This will show up in the project but since it is not a shared param, it isn't available as a label. Since a type parameter value is the same on all sheets, you wouldn't gain much over using standard text in the family and reloading the titleblock if the data changes.

gregcashen
2003-10-10, 06:24 PM
I have commented before on the need to have project wide (type) parameters in the titleblocks...in shared parameters in general. Since David even thought this was already a possibility, can we assume that it has been noted that this is needed?

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-10, 07:23 PM
I have discussed it formally with support, I'm sure others have too. It is in our wishlist pile too.