PDA

View Full Version : Roof sloping to drain around multiple penetrations

mikeinsverige
2011-05-15, 07:26 PM
Hi, I have been having big problems trying to adjust roof slopes on several projects, the most recent of which is attached here. It is quite a general issue in that I am trying to show tapered insulation going down to a variety of roof drains (shapes begun but not yet accurate in the attachment).

I am using the Modify Sub Elements tool. From what I can tell though, I have to calculate the geometry (to get the height) for nearly every point that I want to add. The process is not that ideal, but the result is fairly clean, as shown in the attachment.

Until.....I have varying roof slopes or angled roof perimeters or skylights (etc.) penetrating the roof. I can try to calculate the height of these elements, but very often Revit automatically adds tons of extra slope lines.
I have also tried to place a point ("Add Point") to get the elevation that Revit says for it, then after I add my penetration to again put that value, but then all the extra roof slope lines still automatically appear.

The easiest way I can get the penetrations to look clean is to make a shaft cutting through the roof. But I don't like adding an extra element to the model that is not really there.

Am I missing something by trying to calculate the heights of all these points? (because it doesn't seem to be working well...)

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-05-15, 09:58 PM
You can achieve way more control by adding 'split lines' to define ridges and valleys and then adjusting the elevation of those lines or the points that control them.

mthurnauer
2011-05-16, 10:51 AM
First, it is important to understand how a tapered insulation layout really works. Mike is correct that you will need to add split lines, but his layout still won't work with tapered insulation. I think if you google firestone tapered insulation layout guide you will find a good resource. I have found that it is easier to lay out the tapered insulation if I make the tapered insulation its own roof and let it go beyond the boundary of the actual roof. I then draw drafting lines offset from my drain points at 4'-0" o.c. and trim them up. I then draft the valleys and ridges just like drawing the roof plan of a hip roof. The reason I take the roof object beyond the boundary of the roof is that it is easier to set the heights of the points of the roof edge to some clean height that lines up with my offset lines. I then trim the roof form at the parapet using a Vertical Opening.

I know this is hard to describe in works. If you would like a quick video tutorial I may be able to put one together later today.

cdatechguy
2011-05-16, 03:03 PM
Thank goodness for the <Invisible Line> tool.... All those extra lines are a pain...

The sloped insulation is nice....but unfortunately doesn't work very well when your roof framing isn't flat....

patricks
2011-05-16, 03:56 PM
First, it is important to understand how a tapered insulation layout really works. Mike is correct that you will need to add split lines, but his layout still won't work with tapered insulation. I think if you google firestone tapered insulation layout guide you will find a good resource. I have found that it is easier to lay out the tapered insulation if I make the tapered insulation its own roof and let it go beyond the boundary of the actual roof. I then draw drafting lines offset from my drain points at 4'-0" o.c. and trim them up. I then draft the valleys and ridges just like drawing the roof plan of a hip roof. The reason I take the roof object beyond the boundary of the roof is that it is easier to set the heights of the points of the roof edge to some clean height that lines up with my offset lines. I then trim the roof form at the parapet using a Vertical Opening.

I know this is hard to describe in works. If you would like a quick video tutorial I may be able to put one together later today.

This would likely be the best method for the odd-shaped roof shown by the OP above. Do the whole roof as a rectangle, and then cut out the unneeded areas with Vertical openings. I wouldn't do them as shaft openings, just regular vertical openings.

vgonzales
2011-05-16, 05:01 PM
Someone has a tutorial showing how to use reference planes in elevation and section views. You use them to assist in adjusting the slopes of roof points. There is no need to calculate elevation changes. Just drag the points to snap to the sloped reference plane intersections. Do a search about tapered roofs in AUGI.

tomnewsom
2011-05-17, 10:50 AM
This would likely be the best method for the odd-shaped roof shown by the OP above. Do the whole roof as a rectangle, and then cut out the unneeded areas with Vertical openings. I wouldn't do them as shaft openings, just regular vertical openings.
This is exactly how I'd do it too. Bear in mind the builadability of this shape. On site, they'll want simple setting out points to start the slopes from. Openings will be cut to fit - so that's how you should model it.