PDA

View Full Version : How to "paint" a portion of a curved wall?

patricks
2011-05-17, 01:04 PM
I need to short a portion of a curved wall painted a different color. Split Face does not work on curved surfaces. What are my options for getting this shown correctly?

rosskirby
2011-05-17, 02:51 PM
If it's for an entire portion of wall (top to bottom, that is), I'd say split the wall into two separate pieces (or as many as you need) and paint the ones that need it.

patricks
2011-05-17, 05:48 PM
Nope, it's for a horizontal stripe in the middle of the wall. And this stripe needs to carry around several different wall types, both interior and exterior.

cdatechguy
2011-05-17, 05:54 PM
What about splitting the material in the wall type? That way you don't have to "paint" the material on there...

antman
2011-05-17, 06:10 PM
I lieu of creating several more wall types, what about applying a thin sweep? Does Revit wig out with objects close to zero thickness - say in the neighborhood of 3/256"? Or would it work better to create a sweep that is the thickness of the material, and just offset it into the walls?

jeffh
2011-05-17, 08:38 PM
What about splitting the material in the wall type? That way you don't have to "paint" the material on there...

If it is always totally horizontal and always in the same place this is probably the way to go, or use a really thin sweep either in the wall structure definition or as a host sweep if it occurs at different heights.

If the area needing to be painted is not a simple rectangular shape it is going to be a bit harder. I was able to do this hacked up version using an in place family wall made up of a couple of voids and a solid. This might work depending on the situation. This is the first thing that came to mind. Perhaps someone else will have a more elegant solution.

cdatechguy
2011-05-17, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I figured it was horizontal... ;)

patricks
2011-05-18, 01:07 PM
Yes it is horizontal of constant height. I guess the sweep is really the only way to do it without having to make *multiple* new wall types just for the stripe. If the stripe sweep is the same thickness as the gyp board, and recessed back the same thickness as the gyp board layer, I guess it can be set to cut out that portion of the wall.

Okay, I'll look at doing it this way.

jeffh
2011-05-18, 01:35 PM
Yes it is horizontal of constant height. I guess the sweep is really the only way to do it without having to make *multiple* new wall types just for the stripe. If the stripe sweep is the same thickness as the gyp board, and recessed back the same thickness as the gyp board layer, I guess it can be set to cut out that portion of the wall.

Okay, I'll look at doing it this way.

If it is totally flush with the wall you can just split the region and assign layers to the region that needs an alternate material. Attached is a file that does this adding a blue stripe along the top.

patricks
2011-05-18, 05:17 PM
If it is totally flush with the wall you can just split the region and assign layers to the region that needs an alternate material. Attached is a file that does this adding a blue stripe along the top.

Doing this would require making duplicates of MANY different wall types, since this stripe only occurs in one large assembly room with a variety of interior and exterior wall types around the perimeter. So then I'd have to go around duplicating all these types, but each duplicate would need the same Type Mark to keep the wall type tags consistent, and then I'd end up with a bunch of duplicate type errors.