PDA

View Full Version : Can you hide a filled region from a linked view

david_peterson
2011-05-31, 07:30 PM
I have and Architectural model linked in to my structural model.
The Archies were nice enough to layout the panel joints vs reveal joint on an elevation.
For what ever reason they decided to place a filled region (solid - color white) over the top of the elevation to block out something they didn't want to see.
I've set up a view with the arch elevation linked in an turned on. I have the view set to by linked view (the one the archies made) so I can get all the text and addl linework which shows the extent of each panel. However there's one little problem. This filled region is in my way. If I select it I can't override in view. I can't seem to find a category to turn off. I can't seem to find any way to turn off this item.
Is this one of those, "Revit Can't do that" kind of things?
Any Ideas?

david_peterson
2011-05-31, 08:00 PM
So from what I can tell it's an all or nothing thing.
I can turn off the filled region by turning off the whole model/detail items category, but there is NO Sub-Category for filled region.
Go figure, Thanks Adesk

patricks
2011-06-01, 06:23 PM
You can tab-select items individually and hide them in linked files, but that may be time consuming. I would just tell the architects to use proper wall reveals so you don't have to mess with all of that.

david_peterson
2011-06-01, 06:30 PM
Actually, I tried the tab-select. Filled regions are one of the things that you can't override or hide in a linked view. I can select it, I can get properties on it, but you don't get the "Hide in View" option with filled regions in a view with a linked model set to "By linked view" Unless I completely missed something. I Hope I made this clear enough.

Also it wasn't a problem with how they modeled it, The model is perfect. the problem the view I'm trying to used was an overall elevation and there a little indent in the building that is hidden in that view.
Hope this makes sense.

patricks
2011-06-01, 07:01 PM
Do you have to use their elevation view? Can't you just use your own elevation looking at their walls?

Or, why not just set your elevation views to have their link as "By Host View" or "Custom" in each of your elevations?

*edit* read the OP again and I think I see what you're saying. However you can turn off detail items and lines and text will still remain visible. What other detail items do you want to show from the architect's elevations?

I personally wouldn't want a structural engineer showing my notes and dimensions on his drawings. I would want him to go by my architectural model as much as possible, yes, but my notes and dimensions may or may not be correct. Structural engineer needs to have his own notes/dimensions IMHO.

david_peterson
2011-06-01, 07:10 PM
In this particular case, no. I wanted to use the Archies Layout because they showed/modeled and labeled all the different joints and individual panels. In their elevation view they added a bunch of detail lines for each panel and text to tell you if what you were looking at was a panel joint, or just the reveal in the PCC panel.
I didn't want to have to do all that work, plus when it changes, I won't have to redo it.
So I created an elevation where I needed it to be, went into VG/Revit Links/ set it to custom, set "linked view" to the correct arch elevation I needed and then went in to the annotation categories changed to custom and turned off levels and grids, went to model categories, set that to custom and turned off "Detail Items" category since there is no sub category for filled regions.
Make sense?
Only I could get it to work.
You would think that they would have their own sub or prime category. You'd also think it would be under annotation and not model. Very Strange.