PDA

View Full Version : Mouse force

MikeJarosz
2011-05-31, 09:04 PM
Something's been bothering me about using Revit from the day one ---- and that was in release 6.0!! Finally, it's time to complain. Maybe someone out there has an explanation, or even an answer.

After selecting an object to move or copy, I have to use increased mouse force to "tug" it in the direction I want before it will move. Very often I overshoot and have to move it back. I am aware of the nudge arrows, and I use them alot. But, Revit can't perform nudges quickly and they accumulate, so eventually you overshoot, even with the nudge. And nudge isn't helpful for long distances.

This bothers me because I have an old arm injury and by the end of the day I'm ready for a good painkiller (AKA: Beefeater Martini).

Is this "tug" built in, or is there something I don't know? Is there a setting I haven't found?

renogreen
2011-05-31, 09:34 PM
I use a roller-ball and have never noticed what you are describing with it. However, when I sit down at someone's computer with the old standard mouse...I do notice it. Can't explain it.

antman
2011-05-31, 09:41 PM
Additionally, 3D gives me a headache after 20 minutes. I think there's something in Revit that requires an increased brain/eye function that is just not natural. Then again, maybe it's just time for a hardware upgrade.

patricks
2011-06-01, 05:55 PM
Something's been bothering me about using Revit from the day one ---- and that was in release 6.0!! Finally, it's time to complain. Maybe someone out there has an explanation, or even an answer.

After selecting an object to move or copy, I have to use increased mouse force to "tug" it in the direction I want before it will move. Very often I overshoot and have to move it back. I am aware of the nudge arrows, and I use them alot. But, Revit can't perform nudges quickly and they accumulate, so eventually you overshoot, even with the nudge. And nudge isn't helpful for long distances.

This bothers me because I have an old arm injury and by the end of the day I'm ready for a good painkiller (AKA: Beefeater Martini).

Is this "tug" built in, or is there something I don't know? Is there a setting I haven't found?

I think I know what you're talking about. I wouldn't exactly describe it as more force on the mouse required, but more like a "delay" if you will. When you click to drag something, there is a bit of delay after you click and hold and start moving the mouse, before the object actually starts moving under the mouse pointer.

And yes it is extremely annoying, especially when trying to move around toposurface points by small amounts.

antman
2011-06-01, 06:03 PM
When you click to drag something, there is a bit of delay after you click and hold and start moving the mouse, before the object actually starts moving under the mouse pointer.

Is that something that good hardware will help with? I agree, it's incredibly annoying and makes repetitive menial tasks (like placing detail callouts) take about triple the time it should. I chalked it up to having an old tired computer, but I have a new powerhouse incoming and I really hope this annoyance goes away...

patricks
2011-06-01, 07:13 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with hardware, and more likely just how Revit is hard-coded to handle press & drag commands. Similar to the OP I've been using Revit since 6.1 and to my knowledge it's always been this way, on all machines. My machine is less than 1 year old and a powerhouse and it does this the same as all the others in the office. My Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse are a few years old, but press/dragging a program window on my Win7 desktop produces instant and precise movement, unlike Revit.

There seems to be some kind of threshold below which you cannot press/drag something in Revit unless you drag it out farther than said threshold and then bring it back again, which as you have said can be hard on the fingers and other members of your mousing hand/arm. That threshold seems to be related to the zoom level on the screen (i.e. fixed number of screen pixels) much like nudge command is also zoom/screen related and not a set dimension in the view.

renogreen
2011-06-01, 08:00 PM
Like I mentioned before...I do not notice this at all with a roller-ball.

MikeJarosz
2011-06-02, 01:45 PM
I forgot to mention my hardware. 64 bit Dell CPU, dual monitor, Microsoft optical mouse, the works!. Maybe the roller ball theory is right.

I think the "delay" theory might have some merit. There might be a patch of sloppy code in the driver. I'm glad to see I am not the only one to notice this.

My expectation is that the cursor should move in perfect sync with the mouse. Is that too much to hope for?

patricks
2011-06-02, 02:29 PM
The mouse pointer always moves in perfect sync with the mouse for me. It's just when doing a press/drag function on an object that there's lag. And it's not the mouse pointer itself that lags, only the object that you're moving.