PDA

View Full Version : Stair opening in first floor slab

westcad
2011-06-05, 05:32 AM
New to revit and am having trouble cutting opening in slab for stairs. In ACA it is a simple matter of creating a void using the stairs. The opening is cut in slab with allowance for stair headroom. Can this be done similiarly in Revit?

Exar Kun
2011-06-05, 05:39 AM
Nothing is worked out automatically regarding the required head height for the stairs. And the stairs themselves can't host an opening in the floor. There are numerous ways to cut a hole manually - you can edit the floor sketch to show the opening or you could use one of the opening tools (Home -> Opening ->). The shaft opening is handy if you are doing a multi-storey stair as it allows you to constrain the top and bottom of the opening to levels so it can cut through lots of objects (roofs, floors and ceilings) at once.

westcad
2011-06-05, 06:33 AM
Thank you for the reply, I have managed to cut an opening in floor using opening, however I thought that Revit was supposed to be such a create program with lots of integration. I find it surprising that the lowly aca can do what revit can't. Looks like its back to ACA for me.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-06-05, 06:44 AM
Wow. Pretty harsh. Not even three strikes before you count Revit out and settle for the 'lowly' ACA?;)
Give it a chance. You might find that Revit can do a whole bunch of stuff that ACA can do, some that ACA can't do and most that it does, it does fairly elegantly and with less management than ACA.

westcad
2011-06-05, 11:42 AM
Haven't given up completely, as I have bought the beast, so I should learn to use it. I tend to do a lot of 2 storey residences that all have stairs. In ACA it takes seconds to add a hole, pick stairs and your done. If you move the stairs, the void doen't move, however stretch does work. Very frustrating that revit cant do a simple thing like this.

Exar Kun
2011-06-06, 05:00 AM
You can lock the sketch of the opening (either the floor sketch or the opening sketch) to the outline of the stairs or use locked dimensions if the opening (as is likely) is slightly offset from the stairs. The opening will then move whenever you move the stair (as long as you don't move the stair completely away from the object you cut the hole in).

patricks
2011-06-06, 02:17 PM
I personally would NOT want something as automatic as what you're showing from ACA. Invariably there are always changes and other things where you likely would not want the opening constrained exactly to a particular head height above the stairs. No it's not as "mindless" as it might be in ACA, which only means we just need to pay attention as architects have done when creating drawings for hundreds of years.

Automating too many things without thought and user input can lead to disastrous results IMHO.