PDA

View Full Version : Can you divide a face?

crullier
2011-06-10, 12:16 AM
I feel kind of silly asking this as I think its very basic. But to my defense I haven't really put much effort into massing in Revit.

If I have a "face" and I want to create an edge that I can pull to create a crease, is this possible?

crullier
2011-06-10, 12:17 AM
Here is an image of what I would to be able to do:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/Profoxcg/Capture-3-1.jpg

jeffh
2011-06-13, 12:23 PM
You can add a line like that usually by adding a profile to the form. This will create a "belt" around the entire form and you can then adjust each edge of the belt.

crullier
2011-06-15, 05:09 AM
thanks Jeff, but unfortunately I am stating to realize that the answer to my question is no. To add edges depends on how the form was originally modeled. This will dictate the direction of the edges and profiles. Is this correct?

jeffh
2011-06-15, 01:12 PM
thanks Jeff, but unfortunately I am stating to realize that the answer to my question is no. To add edges depends on how the form was originally modeled. This will dictate the direction of the edges and profiles. Is this correct?

That is correct. The original modeling of the form will make a difference in where and how edges can be created. It was hard to tell from just your image, but the question had sat un-answered fro a long time so i decided to take a shot at giving you something to work with.

crullier
2011-06-15, 03:26 PM
do you by any chance know how to make points co-planar within the conceptual modeling environment?

The only think I can think of is to have a point hosted by another.

jeffh
2011-06-15, 04:22 PM
You can turn on the reference plane of the point. Select the points and on the properties palette change the "Show Reference Planes" setting to "Always". Now you can use the reference plane of the points to align/constrain them to one another.

sbrown
2011-06-15, 06:26 PM
Can't you now just draw a line on the face where you want it, then recreate the form? Or divide by intersects?

jeffh
2011-06-15, 11:28 PM
Can't you now just draw a line on the face where you want it, then recreate the form? Or divide by intersects?

You can only draw a line on a face in the same direction as the "spine" of the form. If you change a view to x-ray you can see the "spine". Even then the line might not be able to be positioned where you want it. There are lots of exceptions and rukes around how this happens.

Dividing by intersects does not give you an edge you can pull. Dividing a face is about rationalizing the surface so it can recieve a curtain panel, NOT for adjusting geometry of the form.