PDA

View Full Version : Timber Screen

PaulB
2003-10-12, 05:53 AM
I'm trying to create a timber screen (similar to a balustrade) but have having problems with the file size.

Screen 3.pdf
Steps: -
Create a new generic family
Create solid extrusion for top and bottom rails
Create solid extrusion for infill
Create cut-out extrusion and copy/array

File size - 2mb
problem - can't even load family into project - took 1 hour and was stuck at 67%

Tried to create a separate family for the "hole" but when loaded into screen family it didn't cut the solid infill.

I created another timber screen more a lattice type, it was 11Mb.

Am I creating them using the wrong metods ?

I also just had a go at my first multi-unit development and when I linked a single dwelling into the overall site project the windows and doors didn't display in the elevations - checked all the visibility settings - all on. ? They displayed in 3d but not elevation. Any advice

beegee
2003-10-12, 06:25 AM
I've found that arrays don't work well in families unless the element to be arrayed is nested. That's just my experience and I may not be going about it the right way. Sounds as though you have found and tried this with the void being loaded in as a nested family. Once the first void is loaded you need to tell it to cut the solid geometry, then array it.

Presumably you're doing a parametric array for the void. This is not simple stuff, but its good to learn. Have a look at the various threads on it.

Your void extrusion looks complex and this may be causing the file size blow-out. If you don't need that level of detail, simplify it. You can always do a call -out to give you the full detail picture.

It should definately not be taking all that long to load. Sounds like there is a self reference problem in the array possibly.

The 11 Mb file must be due to arraying a large number of solids and then using a void to cut them at the rails ?

It sounds as though you're basically on the right track, but it takes some patience to get it right with these sorts of families. I suggest you try a very simple screen to start with, making sure it wirks at each step. Then see how big a file that took, then adapt a copy of it for a more detailed or larger family.

PeterJ
2003-10-13, 09:39 AM
I think you would be better off creating this as a railing and modelling only one instance of the moulding as a baluster. To get it to sit between supports make a separate railing baluster which is the support and the end condition of the screen. You should then be able to combine these as a series of railings in the same location and they should be quite efficient in terms of file size, perhaps only 200kb total.

Alternatively, if you need the screen only in renderings you might consider making it as a custom material that is partly see-through and then just applying it to a flat panel modelled as an in place family or a wall. The custom material route does take some fudging, but as a way of working it's pretty good. I have written on the technique here (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=619) albeit to implement something different.

PaulB
2003-10-13, 09:30 PM
Peter/ Beegee,

Do you think it would be possible (or would it indeed make any difference) if the screen was made, as you say peter, as a baluster but placed hard up against each other in the balustrade and then the join geometry command was used to join the balusters together.

BTW Peter I'm not into the Rugby so much but you may have heard of my Football team - Bolton Wanderers

PeterJ
2003-10-13, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't use join geometry. If you are going to overwork the railing, if you do it that way, then I would look at using linework to render the junction invisible. I'm not sure you can join geometry with a series of balusters

As to Bolton Wanderers..... (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8024#8024)