PDA

View Full Version : Conceptual Mass and Curtain Wall?

cvf225902466
2011-06-19, 03:35 AM
Hi, I'm an architecture student in the Dominican Republic and i recently started using revit... but im having some difficulties in creating my ideas, tutorials are very vague on youtube and i need to get this done or my heart will breeak. aaaanywho, heres the sketch of what id like to to and i would like to know if anyone knew how? and could elaborate for me?

http://www.revitforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2738&d=1308452247
http://www.revitforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2739&d=1308452253
http://www.revitforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2740&d=1308452255

ok the first picture id like to know how to mass that? or its a modified wall? I want to make an entire facade of that on a bigger scale of course... in a different material. Sort of like the second pic in concrete but i wanna try out metal or something else...

Also the Concrete zigzag facade how can u do that for a ceiling? where in between the bodies light pierces through them.. and lastly, the render is a wwooden facade that i took a wall and just chopped it up and put a material in front, how can i make it look like wooden palm boards on different heights... is it all massing or what?

thanks in advance i know its a lot... but im desperate here.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-06-19, 06:32 AM
Welcome to Revit and the forums.
You are right, it is a lot :lol: and some of what you are trying to do is not on the list of stuff that you probably do in your first few hours after opening the software. ;)
That said, you can accomplish the concrete zig zag facade easily using curtain panel families.
To get your palm board fence modeled is a little more work but the same basic principle could be used with curtain panels. I think they would probably be a little too 'regular' for the effect you are after. I'd look at a good bit map and some bump maps to define a good material for rendering on that one.
The ceiling can be done just by sketching the openings and solids you want.
Take a look at the attached sample file and swap the curtain panels out for different types and look at the ceiling sketch. I've created the concrete zigzag panel so the contact face depth and the overall depth are variable

cvf225902466
2011-06-19, 03:37 PM
Thank you so much, that sounds simple enough with the little knowledge i have :) i couldnt get to open the file im working with Revit 2011, also to create a solid in the ceiling do i have to create a family and attach it? or can i make a solid sketch on a celing? as far as i kno i can only make 2d lines..

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-06-19, 04:35 PM
The ceiling could be a hosted family but from what you described here you could probably just do it as a ceiling. Your ceiling object will have a thickness, you just sketch the lines instead of creating the default 'automatic' ceiling.
Sorry about the 2012, it's what I had open at the time I replied. Any particular reason you are using 2011 instead of 2012? As a student you should have access to the latest version.

cvf225902466
2011-06-19, 05:32 PM
First one i downloaded was the 2011 so i dont know i guess i just stayed with it, is it recommended to download the latest version?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-06-19, 05:55 PM
There are some benefits but I would check with the school before doing any work in 2012. You can't save back so the school would need to have it available for you.

cvf225902466
2011-06-19, 11:01 PM
Is there any chance i could trouble u to export it on 2011?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-06-20, 06:15 AM
Why not;)
Just for future reference you can't 'export' to a previous version, you need to rebuild. Another precaution should you choose to use a version newer than what is available at your studio.

cvf225902466
2011-06-20, 07:22 PM
Brilliant!! you make it look so simple.. I dont know if its to much of a hassle to ask the steps to achieve these curtain walls, specifically how do i make then array themselves on top of the other and how do control the distance between them.. wha i basically want to achieve is this... http://revitforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2759&d=1308586032

To put the wooden boards on the curtain walls, since its curved how do i make them follow it smoothly, and if so, is it an extrude mixed with a sweep? and i wanna make the curved part into steel frames i guess...

cvf225902466
2011-06-23, 12:14 AM
The boards keep rotating themselves inside the curves i created.. and its got this huge gap idk what to do... how i edit it?