PDA

View Full Version : Stepped Style Section

Arnel Aguel
2003-10-13, 05:35 AM
Is it possible to do a stepped style section in revit? I cannot find any control/dialog box for this, it seems that all sections are just straight cut. In ADT you can define stepped style section by just picking more than two points. In revit are we limited only to two (start and end points)?

beegee
2003-10-13, 05:48 AM
Revit takes the view that stepped sections are not necessary, since they were basically used historically as a time saving device to save drawing up more sections; but with Revit you can cut as many sections as you want or need.

But to answer your question - no, you can only cut a section in one plane at a time.

If your want the look and sheet saving of a stepped section, you can cut two sections and adjust the views with a cropped region, then align them side by side on a sheet, with a break line. Personally, I think this takes two much time and effort, I just go for 2 sections.

PaulB
2003-10-13, 07:49 AM
Beegee,

Couldn't you just adjust the section marker extents on the plan rather than use crop boundaries

PeterJ
2003-10-13, 09:31 AM
Revit takes the view that stepped sections are not necessary......

Beegee, is that from the horse's mouth or is it your assumption based on what you find? I had thought that they were looking at stepped sections for a future release in resposnse to wishlist requests.

beegee
2003-10-13, 09:38 PM
If my often faulty memory serves me, it was a response by one of the Waltham crew in a thread here or in the NG.

Its certainly not safe to assume that its in or out of R6.
My guess would be its not high on the priority list though.

beegee
2003-10-13, 09:41 PM
Beegee,

Couldn't you just adjust the section marker extents on the plan rather than use crop boundaries

Yes, you could, but its more difficult to get the exact break line position for joining the two sections if you do it that way, because the section tail wont snap to a line.