PDA

View Full Version : Array Problem

rudolfweyers346383
2011-06-20, 01:14 PM
Im trying to make a parametric steel gate with vertical square tubing sections. I get the array to work with a formula to count the amount of square tubes required dependent on the lenght of the gate. The problem comes in when i try to change the height of the gate. It doesnt allow me to constrain the top and bottom of the objects in the array. Any tips on how to get this to work?

patricks
2011-06-20, 05:28 PM
Did you constrain the initial picket to the top and bottom before creating the array? Also is the arrayed picket a nested family? Usually arrays tend to work better if the arrayed object is a nested family rather than just geometry in the family.

nancy.mcclure
2011-06-21, 02:51 AM
In the single picket family, make the height of the picket an instance parameter. Load it into the gate family. Place a single instance, and lock it to the appropriate base/top reference planes. Then array. I also advise to pick your points for the array AWAY from other geometry you may have in place, as it's super easy for the array points to 'snap' to slightly different z references, and then your array gets all wonky when flexed.

stacey
2011-06-23, 09:06 AM
I found this tutorial VERY helpful when I was tackling an array issue... I use this method all the time now.

http://designreform.net/2009/09/parametric-louvre-system-part-1/