PDA

View Full Version : Revit Challenge: Undercounter Casework Light

bpayne
2011-06-20, 05:55 PM
Objective: To create an undercounter light (shared nested component with a custom symbol) that is displayed in front elevation under the counter.

Attempt 1: Attempted to add symbol lines to casework family.
Problem: Symbol lines caused family to move north because bottom of "casework" changed even though they are just symbol lines.

Attempt 2: Attempted to add symbol lines to nested light fixture family.
Problem: Symbol lines caused casework family to move north because bottom of "casework" changed even though they are just symbol lines in a nested component.

Attempt 3: Attempted to add symbol family to nested light fixture family.
Problem: Symbol cannot be added to any view other than plan.

Attempt 4: Any ideas?

patricks
2011-06-20, 06:06 PM
Doesn't really seem like a big problem to me unless you're dealing with hundreds of instances. Otherwise just load them up, move the casework back into position and move on. Did your attempts 1 and 2 at least look the way you wanted them to in elevation?

bpayne
2011-06-20, 06:12 PM
It some cases it would not be a problem. However, it does cause our firm a couple of problems.

I am really trying to push the use of schedules as a QC tool and the shift will cause the casework schedule to show the wrong mounting height.

If someone adds the fixture to a family, they may not notice all the instances of the shift. (A problem for a large hospital project)

patricks
2011-06-20, 08:12 PM
When you said it shifts north, I assumed you meant north (or up) in plan. Do you mean the whole cabinet actually moves UP with respect to the floor level?

bpayne
2011-06-20, 08:15 PM
Sorry, I should of said UP (Z-axis) rather than North.

patricks
2011-06-20, 08:29 PM
If you could post the family or maybe a screen shot we would have a better shot at helping you find a solution.

bpayne
2011-06-20, 08:36 PM
Sorry for the bad sketch of the symbol, but this should give you a better understanding. Basically, we are just looking for a way to indicate in elevation where the under cabinet light is located.

bpayne
2011-06-20, 08:38 PM
Here is the family. Nothing special.

patricks
2011-06-20, 10:51 PM
ah, I figured that's where it was but you said "undercounter" in the first post and I was thinking, lights underneath the counter? Some sort of lower display cabinet maybe? :p

Also, just a bit OT but do those counters not need to be ADA accessible with a height of 2' - 10"?

mthurnauer
2011-06-21, 12:33 AM
I think you are working too hard to honestly do something you shouldn't. Why not make a light fixture which will show a symbol for the under-cabinet lights on the RCP and shows the actual fixture model in elevation? That is what you really need right?

bpayne
2011-06-21, 05:57 PM
Up...North ...Counter...Cabinet.....It would help if i was more clear.

Yes, the casework is often 34"...this is just a sample I had in the template where i'm working.

Yes, the symbol could just go in RCP, but a 12" under-cabinet light in RCP can be both hard to see at 1/8" scale, and also hard to review with user groups when they are looking at casework elevations. It is also nice to see them to coordinate with counter top equipment in elevation.

A symbol is required because the cabinet door covers them in elevation from being seen in both real life and in the model.