PDA

View Full Version : Phil Bernstein lectures

MikeJarosz
2011-06-20, 07:14 PM
Phil Bernstein frequently gives lectures about the goals and promises of BIM in the construction industry. He once gave one at the NY AIA about the number of times projects are redrawn over and over as it makes its way through the design and construction process. He demonstrates how Revit and BIM can save huge amounts of time by reusing the model in every phase. He had some convincing charts and graphs to make his point.

I would love to quote him, but I can't find it online anywhere. Anyone have a source?

nancy.mcclure
2011-06-21, 04:49 AM
have you checked the archives of Phil's blog?
http://philbernstein.typepad.com/phil-bernsteins-blog/

happy hunting!

MikeJarosz
2011-06-21, 09:58 PM
WOW! Thanks. This is a goldmine.

As BIM Manager, my firm has asked me to investigate the liability issues surrounding full implementation. I caught a webinar by Zetlin & Chiara "The Legal Risk of BIM - Real or Imagined?"

In writing my review, I wanted to bring in a few points from Phil's past lectures. I opened the blog you mentioned, and the first page was all about BIM liability.

It's a topic not discussed very often, and good sources are always welcome.

Thanks again

antman
2011-06-21, 10:29 PM
As BIM Manager, my firm has asked me to investigate the liability issues surrounding full implementation.

I'm sure you've seen this then...
http://enr.construction.com/buildings/design/2011/0523-acautionarydigitaltale.asp

As a BIM Manager, my view is that BIM doesn't increase risk by being what it is or is not, but rather risk is generated when people begin to think that it is something that it is not. In the case of the article I posted (and most 'BIM risk' cases, I would presume) the assumption was that BIM eliminated the need for communication. We all know better though, right? .-)

MikeJarosz
2011-06-22, 02:56 PM
Not only have I seen it, one of the comments posted to the Arch Record reprint is by me (anonymous).This lawsuit was also covered in the webinar I mentioned. What happened is the unfortunate architect got involved in construction sequencing, and his insurance did not cover means & methods.

A recent NYC Revit User Group meeting topic was "Using Navisworks". But someone mentioned this lawsuit and the whole room lit up. It almost derailed the Navis presentation.

Phil Bernstein
2011-06-23, 02:56 AM
All -

I try to collect information on these issues where I can, as (you might tell from my blog) these questions are of interest. If folks here need stuff accordingly (including material from my lectures) let me know, I'm happy to provide it.

Phil