PDA

View Full Version : Creating shaft caused floor finish to change???

thomas.denney836893
2011-06-22, 02:31 AM
I am working through Eric Wing's "Revit Architecture 2010-No Experience Required" book. I have just completed Chap. 6- Floors and a weird event occurred and I cannot figure out why. For those familiar with the chapter please skip and go to section below labeled "Problem". The chapter deals with creating floors and finishes (carpet and terrazzo), splitting a section of a designated floor and creating a new finish (ceramic tile in bathroom), sloping said floor to drain, and finally cutting shaft openings in all the floors.

Problem: When I completed the last part of the chapter to create the shafts the floor surrounding the elevator shafts which is a carpet finish reverted to the tile finish from the bathroom created earlier in the chapter while doing the "Split and Paint". I thought maybe something weird was happing on that floor so I redid the shaft creation on level two where the ceramic tile does not occur (as of yet), but to my chagrin the carpet on floor one reverted to the tile.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or have any suggestions for what I may have done wrong?

Exar Kun
2011-06-22, 03:29 AM
Unfortunately this is just something that happens when you edit the shape of a face you have split (could be a floor, wall, ceiling etc). The materials assigned to the split faces often spill over and cover the entire face of the object when any sort of shape change is made to that face. In this case simply editing the shaft opening has changed the face a bit and so the material has covered the entire face.

There's no real fix as far as I know?? You just have to re-paint the materials.

STHRevit
2011-06-22, 04:46 AM
Or you could model the floor finishes as they would be build.
Create a separate tile floor. This way you can quantify them as well. We always try to model as it would be built, within reason of course, but finishes are important for us and the "split face / paint tool" does not cut it.

patricks
2011-06-22, 12:53 PM
Ditto that. We *never* use the split face / paint tools for floor finishes. We always create them as thin 1/8" floor elements and place them on a workset that stays off by default.

At one point we were doing floor finishes as ceilings placed down at the floor level, which makes for quick automatic placement. However that doesn't work well, either, as there's always a blank spot in door openings.

thomas.denney836893
2011-06-22, 01:45 PM
Or you could model the floor finishes as they would be build.
Create a separate tile floor. This way you can quantify them as well. We always try to model as it would be built, within reason of course, but finishes are important for us and the "split face / paint tool" does not cut it.

So forgive me for being noob-ish to revit. If I have a concrete slab with carpet through-out an office except the bathrooms, where I want to do tile and slope the floor, what would be the best way to build this as you are stating? Would I have to create a cut out of the carpet & slab section and then place a smaller tile and slab piece in the "hole" to accommodate the new assembly?

sbrown
2011-06-22, 02:09 PM
Yes, you will want to make your tile floor sep. from your other floor. Typically you'll want you conc. slab as one floor because its extents are diff. than the finish floor. If you have basically one finish throughout except in a couple areas you can place the second floor ontop of the main one and just the join geometry tool and revit will cut the one floor out of the other. For the sloped areas I make a hole in the first floor and add a second floor in the opening that is set to variable thickness and set the slope as required, then join the 2 together. Or you can use a void to cut out of the main slab.

thomas.denney836893
2011-06-22, 03:04 PM
Found this:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Different-Method-Modelling-Structural-Floor-and-Architectural/td-p/2403017

I am guessing this is the kind of set-up I would want to use???