PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Cone in 2012

bleonard
2011-06-24, 04:22 PM
Hey Folks, I haven't had much need to model complicated shapes since the release of the new modeling interface in Revit, and I'm having difficulty determining how to create just a simple cone, as defined by a point and a circle. I have learned to make the equivalent of a blended sweep, through the creating of a mass the connects two circles or ellipses. However, I can't seem to discern how to make just a simple cone. I've tried using reference planes, model lines, points, etc. I know its got to be easy, but I can't seem to find the solution.

Thanks

patricks
2011-06-24, 04:51 PM
As a conceptual mass, I'm not sure. But in the normal family editor environment, simply do a revolve solid using a right triangle revolved 360° around the axis, with the vertical leg of the triangle coincident with the axis.

bleonard
2011-06-24, 05:02 PM
Found some great tutorials for how to create basic shapes with the new modelling interface....

http://autodesk-revit.blogspot.com/2010/09/back-to-basics-conceptual-masses-in.html

Thanks

patricks
2011-06-24, 06:43 PM
Ah, the trick is to make the vertical leg of the triangle in the conceptual mass editor extend above and below the normal vertices. If it doesn't extend past on both ends, it will say it can't create the form.