PDA

View Full Version : Extruded roofs

dkimbrell
2005-01-12, 02:45 AM
I recently created a curved roof over an entry of a building. The wall between the entry and the main building is flat, but to either side are exterior walls that come out at 45 degree angles. I am trying to "trim" the curved roof to meet up with the exterior face of the walls. When I use Join Geometry the roof/wall intersection looks fine on the exterior, but when I go to the interior, I see the corners of my roof sticking through the wall. I tried to edit the plan profile, but that just cut off the top of my roof (I think because of the level I was in to create the sketch). I was wondering if there is a way to clean up extruded roofs when they intersect irregular wall shapes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

beegee
2005-01-12, 02:49 AM
My first thought would be to use an in-place void family to cut the roof to the correct profile.

beegee
2005-01-12, 03:01 AM
Something like this...

dkimbrell
2005-01-12, 04:35 AM
Thanks for your response. I found out that I was on the right track with using Cut Plan Profile, but my sketch was wrong. I was sketching an area around the portion of the roof I wanted to keep instead of the part I wanted to remove.

dkimbrell

beegee
2005-01-12, 07:01 AM
Keep in mind that the edit Cut Profile tool is 2D and view specific.

if you want to adjust the roof shape in the model, you will need to use a void to cut the extruded roof.

sfaust
2005-01-12, 03:28 PM
Keep in mind that the edit Cut Profile tool is 2D and view specific.

but "cut plan profile" is not...

lev.lipkin
2005-01-12, 03:50 PM
7.0 allows creation of roofs (reusing roof types with layer structure) by picking face of generic or mass families.