PDA

View Full Version : Curved Ramp

sbrown
2003-10-13, 06:46 PM
I know this has been covered, but I just did it myself so now I'll explain it quickly.

1. use the stair tool, create the arc path of the stair using the run tool.

2. finish sketch.

3. turn off the visibility of the stair. Leave the handrail visibility on.

4. creat a rectangular profile(the shape of your ramp, ie 4" deep 3' wide)

5. load profile into project.

6. pick on handrail(note you can delete on of them or change it)

7. edit the properties of the handrail to contain the rectangular shape at 0 feet above the ground.

8 add or edit the rest of the railing as desired.

9. look at 3d and say wow, 3d curved ramp.

Note you can mess around with the rise and run and level setting to adjust the slope etc.

aggockel50321
2003-10-15, 01:41 PM
Nice tip Scott.

Funny how with stairs you can draw the run line as an arc, but can't with the ramp. Stair & ramp routines must have been created by two different people...

mtogni
2003-11-06, 03:33 PM
I agree... Rather than work around to solve this problem, the guys at Revit (or Autodesk) they don't think it would be easier make a native routine to do the same? I think it wouldn't that problem for them...
BTW I solved with modelling (look at the attachment).
Regards.

beegee
2003-11-07, 03:41 AM
Nice bit of modelling mtogni.

I see you've used a couple of blends and a cut revolve.
Its a bit unclear exactly how you used them.

Would you care to elaborate ?

mtogni
2003-11-07, 08:49 AM
Ok.
First I sketch on the ref. level the ramp, its angle and an appropriate set of ref. plane. You have to extend inside out the start and the end of the ramp so that you can later set the base profile of the blend. Do the same a bit smaller then the inside radius of the ramp for the top profile.
Now, after set the height of the ramp in a elevation view, create the solid by linking two profile as you can see by editing my example (sorry... my english is not that good to explain better...).
Now you see a solid with a triangular shape (in plan view) so that you have to cut off some borders...
To do that you have to create two void solids: one made by a revolved profile a bit bigger than the entire ramp and an extruded circle both of them placed in the center of the ramp. Finally you just to subtract the ramp. That's it.
Hope this helps.

PeterJ
2003-11-07, 10:27 AM
The voids I have no problem with but I am still struggling to work out the geometry of the ramp surface itself. but for three simple solids you achieve an impressive result.

I see you have set it up as a family. Can it be made parametric? Just something for your weekend.............

mtogni
2003-11-07, 11:09 AM
Interesting work...