PDA

View Full Version : Room lines

MikeJarosz
2011-07-01, 02:46 PM
We are doing the interior fitout of a project. The core and shell is done by our joint venture partner. They have defined rooms that suit their requirements. In some cases they used room lines to break up large open spaces. Our job is to break up those large open spaces into offices.

The problem arises when we link their model into ours. I have to make the link file room bounding, so that the exterior wall and core walls will enclose our offices. However, their room lines fall in awkward locations and are chopping up our interior layouts.

I looked for a way to hide them and discovered that visibility graphics doesn't break out room lines specifically.

Did I miss something or does someone have another idea? If I must, I can delete the lines, but every time our partner updates the background, I'll have to do it all over again.

patricks
2011-07-01, 03:16 PM
hm sticky situation. The separation line visibility is a subcategory under Rooms, but if you turn them off I think Revit may still see it as a separation. I'm not sure though since they're in a linked file. Give it a try.

You could make the link NOT room bounding and put your own room separation lines around their core/shell walls.

Or, why not place walls where you need them to be placed and ask your partner to adjust their room separation lines to match some of your walls? Or do they really need those lines in their file?

Ning Zhou
2011-07-07, 11:10 PM
turn off won't affect, as a workaround, you may temporarily demolish these lines, don't know if it's better than deleting? still requires extra work.

MikeJarosz
2011-07-08, 01:35 PM
Sometimes the solution when facing a deadline is to use brute force.

Interestingly, if you highlight the entire plan, the filter funnel on the lower right will break out room lines as a separate category. So I cleared everything but room lines from the filter and deleted them. A 15 storey building took 5 minutes.

Message to Autodesk: we need more tools to turn room bounding on and off selectively, especially in link files. There are circumstances where that becomes neccessary. Refer to my first post in this thread.

ITABWODI
2011-07-08, 03:57 PM
Sometimes the solution when facing a deadline is to use brute force.

Interestingly, if you highlight the entire plan, the filter funnel on the lower right will break out room lines as a separate category. So I cleared everything but room lines from the filter and deleted them. A 15 storey building took 5 minutes.

Message to Autodesk: we need more tools to turn room bounding on and off selectively, especially in link files. There are circumstances where that becomes neccessary. Refer to my first post in this thread.

I assume you mean from the linked model, which as you've already noted means they'll come back in the next update. I feel your pain, though, as I am working on a project with similarly linked architectural models. Did you consider using Copy/Monitor for the core and shell walls you needed so that you could turn off room bounding for the linked model?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-07-09, 05:05 PM
Ugly workaround warning:lol:
Ask your partner firm to create the room separation lines in a separate Revit file. They can link that into their model as room bounding and you could not have it linked into your model.
They can simplify the creation of the new linked file by opening a 3D view and only having room separation lines visible, save to group, save group out to new file, link back in origin to origin.