PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Many Wall Type!!!!

MoRGaN_sh
2011-07-03, 08:55 AM
hi . first, i apologize for my bad english :mrgreen:
i have question about how many type of wall should be built In a large project? For example, the difference between interior finish material and exterior finish material or some wall have Sweep some dont and Reveals and . . .

- i have2 type of interior wall with 6 different finish material = 2x6=12
- i have3 type of exterior wall with 5 different finish material = 3x5=15
in this case i must have 12x15 = 180 wall type??!!! :?: :shock:

please help me with this. its bothering me!!!!! :Oops: :(

rosskirby
2011-07-03, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure about your math there. If you've got 12 different interior types, and 15 different exterior types, then you'd just have 27 different wall types, not 180. And having 27 wall types is not at all uncommon.

Don't worry too much about how many different wall types you have. Just develop a good file-naming convention, and everything should stay well organized.

MoRGaN_sh
2011-07-04, 05:20 AM
thanks you right. ;)
but imagine if we had one wall with any type and material!! if we want to change the one finish layer in exterior side Although we want both of them . what do you suggest?

-split face and painting the exterior side?? ((if we do this is it effects on schedules???))
-Duplicate and built new wall type with new materials???

:?: :| :confused:

sbrown
2011-07-05, 07:11 PM
Typically diff. finishes = diff wall. No problem with this. Why are you concerened? Think about Revit as building the building on your computer first. Be a real as you can. Its very simple to duplicate a wall type and make a diff. material. The benefit is then you can tag that material in your elevations, render it, change the way it looks etc. I have worked in revit for over 11 years now and rarely if ever use the split face and paint tool. Note you can embed one wall in another and this is more flexible than the paint.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-07-05, 08:48 PM
If you have that much variation consider building walls up using CORE, INTERIOR FINISH and CLADDING types.
CORE types would contain structural core, base exterior finish and base interior finish (e.g. Insulated metal stud, interior gypsum board and exterior sheathing).
INTERIOR types would be just added finish layers (ceramic tile, wall protection, plywood dado etc.)
CLADDING types would contain only the cladding material (Building paper, strapping and wood Siding or Membrane, Z-girts, metal cladding etc.)
In addition to fewer total wall types there are added advantages to building walls up this way including greater flexibility when changing cladding design, the ability to change core size without altering cladding, separate scheduling of cladding and support structure for costing of different trades etc.

MoRGaN_sh
2011-07-06, 06:17 AM
Thanks guys

explane with this Image=(Attach Image)

i have Type: Interior - 2side Dry (0.10 meter)
i want to change last finish layer exterior side and have both of the type with second way(duplicate Diff.material)= i duplicate type and add name and just click and change material for that layer.
if i have 6 wall type like type above [ Type: Interior - 2side Dry (0.10 meter) ] and want to change each type, both last finish layer exterior and Interior side to several materials i have to do too many work to build them and at last i have many type of wall :?: :?
my question: is there easy and better way exist to decrease number of the type?? :shock: :?:

sbrown
2011-07-06, 07:56 PM
Thats correct. Just have a good naming system to describe your wall types and finishes. Typically I would have my exterior wall types, then my interior finish wall types. If you have many diff. tile finishes, you should have one main wall type with your tile, then walls you call Interior-Finish-Tile 1, Tile 2, etc. these can just be the finish only and you can draw them on top of your main walls. I typically don't build the finish into the main wall I add it sep. because it is usually more complex. Note if your finish material changes only horizontally, ie you have 1meter of tile one, then .25 meter of tile 2, then Tile 3 up to the ceiling, you can in the wall editor split the finish layer and then change the material of each segment. Look at the help on wall construction.