PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Building Pad Problem

rudolfweyers346383
2011-07-14, 02:15 PM
See attached pic. I have 2 building pads next to each other beneath the paving, but at different angles. For some reason there is a thin slither created on the common edge of the 2 pads. why?????

patricks
2011-07-14, 05:30 PM
This has been an issue ever since pads were allowed to be sloped. I always have the same issue when I try to do a building pad under a slab and then another pad under a ramp coming up to that slab. It's very annoying and there is no fix that I'm aware of.

*edit* I just tried it in 2012 and it seems to work without that sliver. What version are you in?

Mike Sealander
2011-07-14, 05:37 PM
Split your surfaces. I've started to split the surface at the foundation footprint, and then place a pad on that surface to model the foundation backfill (assuming that's what's being built).

patricks
2011-07-14, 05:51 PM
Oops I didn't see the 2012 prefix on the thread title. Odd that it didn't happen when I tried it just now. However that seems like a good idea about splitting the surfaces.

Sometimes I will model a thin pad as a vapor barrier under my slab to make building sections look correct, and then do another narrow strip of a pad under the wall itself, down at footing level, so that in my building elevations I get a hard line where the topo meets the building walls. But then when I run into ramps I've had problems in the past with the thin sliver sticking up, despite picking the lines of the adjacent slab or pad when sketching the sloped pad.

nancy.mcclure
2011-07-14, 11:41 PM
We've tried using suuuuuuper thin pads, too, in the hope that the sliver at the angle wouldn't appear - no dice.

Spliting the topo works, but then you have to manage grading alignment between the sections. With some projects, that's too time consuming. I've resorted to no sloped pads - set as horizontal at the lowest needed elevation, and use a filled region in the section views. Better than sacrificing seeing the surrounding topo in 3D views.

rudolfweyers346383
2011-07-15, 06:42 AM
Ive offset the common edge between the 2 pads by 1mm and that seem to have done the trick in this instance.

Mike Sealander
2011-07-16, 12:24 AM
Interesting, and good to see you figured it out.