PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Families broken with 2012 release!

nosslok
2011-07-15, 05:33 AM
We have several door families that we developed in Revit 2009 that we have used in all our projects that are now seemingly broken in Revit 2012. We have applied the web update 1 and they are still screwed up.

These families incorporate several nested components, one being a simple 2d door swing with an adjustable swing angle. This swing family was built according to the guidelines shown in the Autodesk University BD21-1L presentation by Steve Stafford and has been working just fine for 3 releases now. We designed these families to be able to designate and schedule handing - so there are two instances of this nested swing in the main door family. One for the RH and RHR swing and another mirrored instance for the LH and LHR swing.

Now when the mirrored instance of the swing is moved it immediately flips the face by itself. Really strange. I have no idea whats causing this to happen. I have attached files in both Revit 2010 and 2012 and a .jpg image of the broken LH door family. You will see this does not happen in the 2010 file.

Try this: Open the "doorswing-2012.rvt" file and select the door swing. Flip the swing with the flip button. Then move the swing and it will magically flip itself upside down.

I'm wondering if this is still a bug or if Autodesk has changed something in the way the families work.

sbrown
2011-07-15, 08:37 PM
Yes, this is a known issue and happend to most of us who spent many hours creating good door families. Look on the Revit Forum(not Augi) for complete descriptions. Basically, 2012 doesn't like instance parameters linked to instance parameters from one family too the host.

Ning Zhou
2011-07-15, 09:18 PM
Basically, 2012 doesn't like instance parameters linked to instance parameters from one family too the host.

is it true? instance linked to instance is fairly common practice especially for deep nesting case (i mean nesting more than one level)

sbrown
2011-07-15, 09:24 PM
It certainly has effected my families and many others, search the Revit Forum for more descriptions. Note it only seems to effect upgraded projects, not brand new 2012 projects.