PDA

View Full Version : Gable Roof Question

bowlingbrad
2005-01-12, 08:58 PM
This may be another one of those simple answers....

I have a wall in which I want a gable roof (see image below).

This wall has an edited profile to show where the location of the gable. Once I place the main roof, I don't know what the steps are to place this gable. I have tried several ways to put in this gable roof (to no avail!). Please enlighten me.

Brad

Scott_Bloss
2005-01-12, 09:19 PM
Brad,

Just draw another roof where the gable roof needs to be similar to the steps you followed to complete the main roof then use the join roof tool to join both roofs together.

bowlingbrad
2005-01-12, 09:26 PM
Brad,

Just draw another roof where the gable roof needs to be similar to the steps you followed to complete the main roof then use the join roof tool to join both roofs together.

Tried that... Gives me an error, Can't join roofs.

bowlingbrad
2005-01-12, 09:35 PM
Here's the current version.

I placed the small gable first. I then placed the main roof. I aligned the bottoms of the eaves. I selected join roof and got the error. Isn't there something I need to do to cut the main roof and the gable?

Brad

Scott_Bloss
2005-01-12, 09:43 PM
Brad this should work i am currently trying what you have got to see what the problem is.

Paul Monsef
2005-01-12, 09:49 PM
Brad,

You can do this with one roof.

...split the eave line (where you would like the gable) and add a "Slope Line" to define a slope perpendecular to the eave...

wow, that was a lot (see the images, hopefully that will make sense)

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-12, 09:52 PM
Here's a file based on Paul's answer...

Scott_Bloss
2005-01-12, 10:22 PM
Brad,

Try doing it like this. place a roof out bound larger than what you want and then set the distnace to 1/32" offset and you will get what you are looking for. look at the attachments for additional information.

SkiSouth
2005-01-12, 10:31 PM
Here's the current version.

Isn't there something I need to do to cut the main roof and the gable?

Brad

Brad, you want to use the slope arrow solution presented here. It takes a minute to get your head around the slope arrow concept, but once you've got it, you've added another powerful Revit tool to your toolbox.

And by way of example.. an avi file - You'll have to rename it to .avi for it to play. Had to rename it to upload.

bowlingbrad
2005-01-13, 02:23 PM
OMG!!!

Of course, it's that simple. Wonderful solution, Paul! (see attached image)

One last question... How is a frieze board placed to allow it to follow the eave of the roof? Moreover, how do corners clean up with the frieze tool? Do I have to create a corner component?

Thanks so much.

Brad

bowlingbrad
2005-01-13, 02:28 PM
Brad, you want to use the slope arrow solution presented here. It takes a minute to get your head around the slope arrow concept, but once you've got it, you've added another powerful Revit tool to your toolbox.

And by way of example.. an avi file - You'll have to rename it to .avi for it to play. Had to rename it to upload.

I downloaded it and cannot play the 'renamed' avi in WMP 9.0 Do you have any suggestions?

SkiSouth
2005-01-13, 03:02 PM
Here's the same file zipped, maybe it got messed up in the upload. I use the WMP 9 to check the Avi file.

raphael.dunbar
2005-01-13, 03:44 PM
You need "TechSmith Screen Capture Codec (TSCC) ", you can get it here at the bottom of the page: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp ;)

I also wanted to say excellent idea of doing a small video file to explain how to do something SkiSouth, I think everyone here should try do this more. :)

bowlingbrad
2005-01-13, 04:54 PM
The codec was the answer! Great video.

Brad

beegee
2005-01-13, 09:50 PM
I posted a small video Tutorial HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12963), and called for suggestions for others, but have received very little response to date. :(

I also wanted to say excellent idea of doing a small video file to explain how to do something SkiSouth, I think everyone here should try do this more. :)

bowlingbrad
2005-01-13, 10:02 PM
FANTASTIC!

More, please.

What programs are you using to create this?

beegee
2005-01-13, 10:08 PM
FANTASTIC!
More, please.

Content suggestions are welcomed.

What programs are you using to create this?
TechSmith Camtasia Studio.

SkiSouth
2005-01-14, 12:49 AM

Just trying to follow the example set by Beegee. I looked at doing the Photoshop tutorials as an Avi, but you really need to have sound with it if you do, and I didn't want to mess with it to that extent at this time. The Photoshop tutorials at 13 - 18 MEGS also. Slightly different than the simple Avi I posted. Like Beegee says though, give some suggestions as to what you want to see as a video. One of the Revit gurus (like Beegee) will then help us all. (maybe? :-D )

John K.
2005-01-19, 06:05 PM
The codec was the answer! Great video.

BradWhat he said. Just saved me a pile of research. Thanx, big time!