PDA

View Full Version : create new room tag

MikeJarosz
2011-07-21, 01:59 PM
I am venturing into new territory here. I have always used room tags out of the box. I now find I need to customize a room tag to include room parameters that were created in a project template from a government agency. I am having a particularly hard time with what Revit calls the category parameters. In the family editor when I edit the label, there is a list of available parameters. I have no idea how this list got there. The help files tell me that these parameters must be shared parameters, but they are not in the shared parameter list. They ARE in the project parameters list, but I cannot find any way to get project parameters into the edit label category parameters.

I added a real shared parameter and it looked right in the family editor, but when I added it to the plan, it read as a question mark.

I tried editing an existing tag that works, but I could not get it to display the room parameter I need. Same question mark.

What am I missing here???????????

?

jsteinhauer
2011-07-21, 02:28 PM
I am venturing into new territory here. I have always used room tags out of the box. I now find I need to customize a room tag to include room parameters that were created in a project template from a government agency. I am having a particularly hard time with what Revit calls the category parameters. In the family editor when I edit the label, there is a list of available parameters. I have no idea how this list got there. The help files tell me that these parameters must be shared parameters, but they are not in the shared parameter list. They ARE in the project parameters list, but I cannot find any way to get project parameters into the edit label category parameters.

I added a real shared parameter and it looked right in the family editor, but when I added it to the plan, it read as a question mark.

I tried editing an existing tag that works, but I could not get it to display the room parameter I need. Same question mark.

What am I missing here???????????

?

Hey Mike,

Just like with a title block you need to add the shared parameters to both the tag & the project. When loading it into the project, select rooms and apply the parameter to all instances of rooms. If you already have these parameters in a project, try exporting them out into a shared parameters file. Then load them into your tag.

Several weeks back I had to create a 'Room Data Sheet' for a project in Revit. I ended up using a room tag and creating a whole new set of views for them. I then had to create sheets for these views with the proper titleblock. Team liked that it was linked to the room, but didn't like that it didn't look like our standard (among other things).

Best of luck to you,
Jeff S.

MikeJarosz
2011-07-21, 04:51 PM
After much thrashing around, I found in Mastering 2011 that project parameters can be scheduled but not tagged. Unfortunately, the project template designer (an unmentionable gov't agency) did not anticipate that this field would be put onto drawings as a tag so it was created as a project parameter. Our project architects have entered values into hundreds of rooms, and I need to find a way to get these values onto a sheet. (The value is the design target area, a set value from the space program)

I now need to put this target area on a drawing, next to the actual area. I created a shared parameter and assigned it to the rooms category, but I cannot get it to read the value stored in the project parameter for target area. I had hoped I could create a calulation but I got an error that parameter calculations cannot use other parameters. I looked at linked parameters but........

Help!!!!

c'mon Vandezande/Reade/Krygiel. Check this forum out once in a while!!:banghead:

jsteinhauer
2011-07-21, 05:32 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding why you can't tag a project parameter. If it is assigned to rooms you should be able to schedule & tag it. Could you post a small example that we can look at? Below is what I would need to help. Should this be in 2011 as well?

Tag
Project
list of parameters

Steve_Stafford
2011-07-21, 05:45 PM
Shouldn't have to do much thrashing around to find that tidbit Mike, it's written out on the parameters dialog :) (see the image)

If they didn't expect the value to end up in tags they probably won't notice or mind if you replace their parameter with a shared version of it and use it instead. You can even give them a copy of the shared parameter file so they can harvest it later themselves.

Steve_Stafford
2011-07-21, 05:52 PM
...I'm having a hard time understanding why you can't tag a project parameter...Always been that way (for a "parental response", just because!)

A project parameter is "trapped" inside the project. You make families (room tag family) outside the project environment in the family editor. This means a Family parameter is "trapped" inside a family. When you are making a tag family the family editor doesn't have any knowledge of your project's project parameters.

The concept of Shared Parameters (SP) is really a dictionary (the file itself) of stored definitions that can be reused (yes shared) between project and family. When Revit sees (via the unique GUID that each SP gets) the connection (same definition) in a family and project it connects the dots.

The Identity Data parameters are "built-in" shared parameters, among others. They are already shared between projects and families. Many of us have wished for a long time that the gang at the factory would define more of these up front.

jsteinhauer
2011-07-21, 05:53 PM
Shouldn't have to do much thrashing around to find that tidbit Mike, it's written out on the parameters dialog :) (see the image)

If they didn't expect the value to end up in tags they probably won't notice or mind if you replace their parameter with a shared version of it and it instead. You can even give them a copy of the shared parameter file so they can harvest it later themselves.

Steve - I never use that setting. No wonder I was confused.

Mike,

Sounds like you need to create shared parameters to match the project parameters. Then sit down an intern for an overnight session of copying the required information between the parameters. Tell them they have until morning to get it done. Have them export the schedule before they delete the project parameters, so you can check to make sure they did it properly. Better to use a less expensive staff members to do this kind of work. You might check into additional services for this work. Fixing templates for clients usually isn't in our project contract.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

Steve_Stafford
2011-07-21, 06:01 PM
btw Jeff...my response wasn't directed "at you" specifically as much as in general since I know that many people struggle with the concept. It's really just for any future reader that echoes the sentiment, "yeah, why is that?"...

jsteinhauer
2011-07-21, 06:06 PM
btw Jeff...my response wasn't directed "at you" specifically as much as in general since I know that many people struggle with the concept. It's really just for any future reader that echoes the sentiment, "yeah, why is that?"...

I know Steve, I was just relaying that I learned something. I wasn't taking any offense to your response. So when should someone use a project parameter vs. a shared parameter? Is this similar to family parameters?

Thanks,
Jeff S.

MikeJarosz
2011-07-21, 07:02 PM
The Identity Data parameters are "built-in" shared parameters, among others. They are already shared between projects and families. Many of us have wished for a long time that the gang at the factory would define more of these up front.

That confirms my suspicions.....that that categories list is hard wired at the factory. The special twist here is that this is an Autodesk project customization created by Autodesk, not the user. They can make anything happen (that we can't).

I've attached the room properties window and project parameters. All I want is the area= 253.14 to appear in a target alongside the Program Area=250. The area is calculated by Revit. The Program area is entered manually.

The workaround will have to be a schedule sheet that shows the fields and even an over/under calculated field.

But we wanted it in the room and on the drawing...........:cry:

jsteinhauer
2011-07-21, 07:27 PM
That confirms my suspicions.....that that categories list is hard wired at the factory. The special twist here is that this is an Autodesk project customization created by Autodesk, not the user. They can make anything happen (that we can't).

I've attached the room properties window and project parameters. All I want is the area= 253.14 to appear in a target alongside the Program Area=250. The area is calculated by Revit. The Program area is entered manually.

The workaround will have to be a schedule sheet that shows the fields and even an over/under calculated field.

But we wanted it in the room and on the drawing...........:cry:

Mike,

See that attached images. I knew that we had done this already, and low and behold its part of our template. The programmed area parameter was loaded as a shared parameter, and not as a project parameter. You should be able to delete/remove the programmed area parameter from your project.

Manage Tab=>Project Parameters=>Remove

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But remember, "Always look on the bright side of life."

Jeff S.

Steve_Stafford
2011-07-21, 07:33 PM
I think what you are after has been discussed here several times under the topic of Occupancy calculation. Much has been said about it in those threads. I'd do a search and point you closer but short on time, sorry!

MikeJarosz
2011-07-22, 03:44 PM
You should be able to delete/remove the programmed area parameter from your project.

Manage Tab=>Project Parameters=>Remove

I was afraid if I deleted the project parameter [Program Area] it would take the data already input with it. So I created a shared parameter [Programmed Area] and added it to the ID grouping. Then, on the schedule I put these two parameters side by side and copied the value from one to the other. I made the tag and it worked OK. Now that my data is safe, I'll go back and delete the Program Area project parameter later.

One note: Although there doesn't appear to be a Revit cut and paste on schedules, the Windows cntrl-c and cntrl-v works just as well.

jsteinhauer
2011-07-22, 04:31 PM
I was afraid if I deleted the project parameter [Program Area] it would take the data already input with it. So I created a shared parameter [Programmed Area] and added it to the ID grouping. Then, on the schedule I put these two parameters side by side and copied the value from one to the other. I made the tag and it worked OK. Now that my data is safe, I'll go back and delete the Program Area project parameter later.

One note: Although there doesn't appear to be a Revit cut and paste on schedules, the Windows cntrl-c and cntrl-v works just as well.

Good to hear that it worked out well for you. If you're going to use this information often, then your firm might want to look at incorporating this modification into your template.

Cheers,
Jeff S.