PDA

View Full Version : conceptual mass vs family

peysey
2011-07-22, 01:37 PM
Hi,

I want to know the difference between the options in the start menu of Revit Architecture 2012.

When I want to create a new table for example, I have the option to choose "new conceptual mass" or "new family".

When I start a new family and choose a template, I can use the old swept, blend etc.. functions.

When I start a new conceptual mass and choose a template, the old bar of swept and blend etc.. is disappeared. That's not the problem, I still can make blends etc.. But what's the other difference? Why I have to choose between those 2?

I hope someone could tell me.

Thanks,

Sefa

peysey
2011-07-22, 02:27 PM
Oke, I see that I can not pull/push or move my lines or points when I am in "new family". In "new conceptual mass" I can do that...

But in a conceptual mass when I add parameters to a family, for example "width" and when I change the upside dimensions of the width, I see that my dimensions on the bottom don't change.... I think that's because of "conceptual mass"? Because in "new family" I make the same extrusion and when I change width parameter on the top, the dimensions on the bottom also change.. so thats good..

peysey
2011-07-22, 02:29 PM
But I still don't know why there is an option to start a "new conceptual mass" and a "new family"..... because when I start a conceptual mass, i still can open families which I normally have to open via "new family"......

Anyone who can tell me why Revit has a distinction in this?

Thanks,

Sefa

sbrown
2011-07-22, 03:22 PM
Conceptual Mass is an environment to explore building forms and features its for just what it says it is. Massing and building design. Families are for components, ie window family, door family. Think of Conceptual mass a big picture or special features of a building that can't be created without the advanced tools. Take a look at youtube for some videos of what can be done int the conceptual mass environment.

peysey
2011-07-22, 10:48 PM
Hmmm, oke thanks ;)

I will use the right one when I need to use one of them.