PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Revolve/Extrude along a curved path?

jeff112408
2011-07-26, 03:47 PM
I'm still relatively new to this new Ribbon UI for Revit and find myself struggling with what should be simple geometry. I'm trying to extrude a circle along a curved path to simulate the look of rope for our Railing System. I seem to remember there being some useful tools in Revit 2008 such as Revolve/Extrude and was wondering if those tools actually exist in this new platform. Knowing Autodesk however, they probably purged most of those useful massing tools and snickered about how crazy it makes everyone. Lol

patricks
2011-07-26, 04:11 PM
What you're looking for is a Sweep, which lets you draw or pick a path and then sweep a shape along that path.

cliff collins
2011-07-26, 04:13 PM
Patricks is correct--use a sweep.

And to your comment on Massing--quite the contrary.
Autodesk has vastly improved the Conceptual Massing tools--take a look here:

http://buildz.blogspot.com/

cheers

Scott D Davis
2011-07-26, 06:00 PM
Patricks is correct--use a sweep.

And to your comment on Massing--quite the contrary.
Autodesk has vastly improved the Conceptual Massing tools--take a look here:

http://buildz.blogspot.com/

cheers

And if it is part of a Railing, why not just use the railing tool rather than trying to model sweeps? The railing tool will build the sweeps for you along a straight or curved path. Also, when you say "rope" are you trying to actually model a "spiraled" look, or just the circular extrusion to represent the rope?

patricks
2011-07-26, 07:05 PM
OP likely wants "drooping" ropes between posts, not possible with railing tool I don't think. If you look on Revit City you can find some families I uploaded some years ago called "stanchion poles" and the ropes that go between them, for creating queue lines.

contact.andrewk968454
2011-07-26, 08:00 PM
OP likely wants "drooping" ropes between posts, not possible with railing tool I don't think. If you look on Revit City you can find some families I uploaded some years ago called "stanchion poles" and the ropes that go between them, for creating queue lines.

It is entirely possible if you model the rope as part of the post. You'd need two different posts, one end post without a rope, and one post with a rope.

jeff112408
2011-07-26, 08:44 PM
Also, when you say "rope" are you trying to actually model a "spiraled" look, or just the circular extrusion to represent the rope?

No. I don't need to worry about that level of detail. Just a circular extrusion. :)

Awesome! I'll definitely check them out. TY.

What you're looking for is a Sweep, which lets you draw or pick a path and then sweep a shape along that path.
That would be the one I'm looking for! :D Now I just need to locate said tool. Lol.

Thank you everyone for your help!

patricks
2011-07-27, 05:39 PM
Do these help?

http://www.revitcity.com/downloads.php?action=view&object_id=5306

http://www.revitcity.com/downloads.php?action=view&object_id=5307

Scott D Davis
2011-07-27, 07:10 PM
No. I don't need to worry about that level of detail. Just a circular extrusion. :)

Awesome! I'll definitely check them out. TY.

That would be the one I'm looking for! :D Now I just need to locate said tool. Lol.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Ah now i get it! Curving path vertically...not that you need this level of complexity, but what came to mind now was to use Project Nucleus and apply gravity to a form to make it "droop" properly as a catenarycurve, as a rope should!

patricks
2011-07-27, 08:15 PM
...Project Nucleus and apply gravity to a form to make it "droop" properly as a catenarycurve, as a rope should!

:shock: I have never heard of this before now!!!

I see it on the Labs website. Is it only available for Revit 2011?

Scott D Davis
2011-07-28, 10:07 PM
:shock: I have never heard of this before now!!!

I see it on the Labs website. Is it only available for Revit 2011?

It's available in Vasari 2.0 and as a plug in for 2011. I think there should be an update on labs for the 2012 version as well?