PDA

View Full Version : Roof sub-elements- slope lines

cbalestreri
2011-07-26, 11:22 PM
I have read through old post and think I already know what the answer might be, but maybe someone has a clever solution. I have been using the modify sub-elements function for my roof to set individual points at differnt elevations hoping it would mimic what I used to do with just lines in AutoCadd. The problem I am having is I end up with a roof that looks like a spider web. I understand you have to figure every elevation pretty exact, if you elect to use sub-points, but it seems even if I figure it to the closest 1/16, I still end up with a web of slope lines (break points). Am I making this too difficult, or is Revit too literal? When I attach the roof to the structure, it gets even worse. Revit seems to be acting like at each joist/beam connection is a fold point, with a diagonal going across at just about every bay. Any thoughts?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-07-27, 06:54 AM
I've found the best approach and the method that allows the greatest control is to define your ridges and valleys using the Add Split Lines option.
Once this is done you can select the control points and adjust their elevations. Revit will use the existing split lines rather than creating spider webs ;)

golfer-rudy
2011-07-27, 09:38 PM
I am having the same problem with some of my roofs. I have tried using both techniques mentioned here and end up with way too many break lines. By using the add break line technique, I am able to define where it breaks, however Revit adds additional break lines where ever it deems necessary. This often results in a similar layout to the automatic lines produced upon defining the various points the roof must conform to. Is there another way to define a roof? Is it possible to limit the roof solely to the break lines that you draw?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-07-27, 11:57 PM
Unless you include all the appropriate split lines Revit will add them as required to make the slope geometry work. Another example of Revit not allowing us to 'fake' what is being shown.