PDA

View Full Version : To keynote or to Tag?

mylogs
2011-07-27, 08:30 PM
Hello,

I'm documenting a project and came up with this question:

I've been using keynotes to document the projects I work. Works well. I keynote the drawings with key values I take from a predefined keynote text file.

To differentiate walls, floors, ceillings, I've "symboblized" the key value, by adding a couple of lines around the key value. It works well, but I need to choose which keynote tag to use, say "Floor Keynote", "Wall Keynote" to get the right symbol.

If I tag however, Revit will recognize the right tag per building system (floor, wall, ceilling). I can fill the other fields and schedule as required.

Keynote is a sort of library on a text file. If don't want to have to fill the various walls and floor types, I will create a wall and floor library.

Having said this, it would appear that you would use tags for systems and keynotes for the nitty gritty of the system (cavities, insulations, etc). But then, you also have you can also keynote by element, which kind of duplicates the tags.

As I writte this, I feel tempted to tag systems, and keynote materials only. What's your view on this? How do you use the available Revit tools to document?

Many thanks on this!

p.s.- How come Revit doesn't allow roof and floor plans on legends, only sections? I'm quite sure you could do this on earlier Revit version...

renogreen
2011-07-27, 09:33 PM
We use MasterSpec for our specifications so we have developed a txt file using MasterSpec similar to the standard Revit keynote txt file. We keynote elements and materials, though not assemblies. We will keynote the different materials that make up an assembly.

We use tags in the standard Revit fashion to tag room numbers, door numbers, wall types, etc.

I like the way Revit uses tags and keynotes and see no reason to differentiate from it, though we have modified the symbols themselves.

d.stairmand
2011-07-28, 07:14 AM
Tagging is great for "Types"
I use it heaps for Doing the Big Stuff - Structure Mostly
Type C1 Columns
Type P1 Piles
Type F1 Footings
Type R1 Rafters

mylogs
2011-07-28, 08:18 AM
Yes, I start to feel that's the best way to do it. Tags for systems, or (in Revit) families and family types, and keynotes for the individual elements of the these systems.

Thanks.