PDA

View Full Version : Material Maps transfer with 3D PDF's

slimbek
2011-08-01, 02:56 AM
Hi all,
Long time reader - first time poster... :)

I've been reading a lot of info (from many forums) about the apparent chaos around 3D PDF's (from software types, to Adobe's Acrobat updates that seem to go backwards in 3D features!?) but I'm still confused on the materials aspect...

For our own workflow, we'd simply like to export a file from either Revit/3DS Max, to a 3D PDF. I've learnt a bunch of different ways to do this including .ifc, .dwf, .3ds, and we've had reasonable success with importing the files and even getting some colour from materials - but the only thing holding us back is that images do not transfer... (such as signage graphics etc. essentially jpg maps).

I'm fine to learn that it's just not possible, and we've gone as far as we can
OR
perhaps it is and we've missed something?
Any extra thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Simon.

Note that we want to avoid additional software/costs like Right Hemisphere etc.

cliff collins
2011-08-01, 07:45 PM
Try using "raster" setting instead of "vector" and print a 3D view in "realistic view" ( Revit 2011 and 2012 )
to PDF using your choice of PDF print driver. The "materials" should come thru on the 3D PDF.

Autodesk's response to this is to instead use .dwfx, which retains the "real" materials and data associated
with Revit elements.

Autodesk Design Review is a free viewer which reads the dwfx files. It's like a 3D PDF only better.

cheers

slimbek
2011-08-02, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the reply - we'lll look into those points too.

We did have success from 3DS Max so, if I'm allowed, I'll explain it briefly here for any future folk.

- Made all objects have a 'standard' material with only a Diffuse colour/jpg map
- Exported .obj file with 'export materials' & 'create mat-library' settings selected in the options panel
- Inported file using Acrobat X with 3D Tool

Brief, but the basics are there.
Worked well.

Thanks all.