PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Floor volumes

rudolfweyers346383
2011-08-04, 10:00 AM
Is it possible to calculate only the "structure" sub catagory volume of a floor?

david_peterson
2011-08-04, 02:38 PM
Depends on how you made your floor.
If you used a true concrete system, I believe you can schedule the volume. You'll need to play with the filter to make sure that you are only including that floor, but I know we have schedules that are set up for total concrete volume and steel tonnage. So I'm guessing you should be able to filter out what you don't want.

cliff collins
2011-08-04, 03:19 PM
Create a Material Takeoff Schdeule, using Floor Category.

In Fields, select Material: Name and Material: Volume

This will separate out the Concrete and Metal Deck volume in a composite slab.

Just tested it with a Structural Concrete and Metal Deck Floor in RAC 2012.

cheers

david_peterson
2011-08-04, 03:26 PM
Cliff,
Did you verify your results? Just curious. We ran into an issue once before with steel tonnage due to a bad OOTB weight parameter that was off by a decimal point.
With the slab, I'm curious if it takes the true amount of concrete (full depth to include the fultes) or if it's just assuming the 4.5" topping..
Let us know.

cliff collins
2011-08-04, 03:44 PM
Good question.

Not sure exactly HOW to verify the results?

Perhaps take the Revit file into QTO/Timberline, Innovaya, Vico or some other Estimating app
and check it?

cheers

david_peterson
2011-08-04, 03:56 PM
You should be able to get close by taking a 3' wide section and calculating the areas. They apply that number to the square footage.
For example when I create the are in Cad, I get an area of 1.361 sqft per 3' wide strip. So if I'm thinking correctly that would be ..4536 f per sf. Take the floor (sf) area and multiply it by .4536 (f) and you should get f³.
If what you get is close, then it's calculating it somewhat correctly.
Now it should be worth the point to know that the floor slabs do not include filler strips or girder strips. It also doesn't account for sag when you put the wet concrete on it. ie the actual volume of concrete isn't going to be 100% accurate. If I had to take a guess, on a simple floor I'd guess you'd be within 5%. On a complex floor with larger deck spans it may be closer to 10%. Just my guess.

rudolfweyers346383
2011-08-05, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I've made 2 types of floors now, the concrete structure, and then a floor finish, then when scheduling i've used a filter to take out the "floor finish" floors.