PDA

View Full Version : DWG Viewer Capabilities

Mufasa23
2011-08-05, 03:34 PM
I have been looking for a viewer to view .dwg files that will also view the x-ref'd files nested in the file a user is requesting to view. We are working with a Novell network, Windows XP, Vanilla Acad2009 saved to 2007. I have been testing with DwgSee ver 3.35; trial version. Although DwgSee has no problem opening and viewing the files, any x-ref'd portions are not viewable when they open.

Thanks for your help & suggestions
JT

jaberwok
2011-08-05, 08:14 PM
DWG Trueview (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438&siteID=123112) or Design Review (http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/)?

BeKirra
2011-08-09, 12:14 AM
Yes, as jaberwok said why not using DWG TrueView shipped with your AutoCAD?
jaberwok was lazy. :p
FreeDwgViewer is a freeware and may be another option for Non-CAD users.

cadtag
2011-08-09, 12:09 PM
TrueView is a cut-down version of AutoCAD, stripped of the ability to perform edits or save changes. For that reason, it's the most_accurate_ viewer out there, and AFAIK the only one that can use Object Enablers to view content authored in autodesk verticals..

For the same reason, it's also _huge_, very slow, and incredibly limited in what it can view. Other viewers are not going to be as accurate, but can be faster, lighter weight, and have capabilities to view other non-DWG formats.

It's a trade-off, and the OP will have to choose what matters the most to him.

dgorsman
2011-08-09, 02:42 PM
I have been looking for a viewer to view .dwg files that will also view the x-ref'd files nested in the file a user is requesting to view. We are working with a Novell network, Windows XP, Vanilla Acad2009 saved to 2007. I have been testing with DwgSee ver 3.35; trial version. Although DwgSee has no problem opening and viewing the files, any x-ref'd portions are not viewable when they open.

Thanks for your help & suggestions
JT

Are you looking for a generic utility program or something that can be "plugged in" to a document manager type of program?

sfleury
2011-08-09, 06:43 PM
I used Amethyst Cadwizz Ultra, from CA Design

It is pretty fast

Serge

Mufasa23
2011-08-16, 06:34 PM
Re: trade off
This is why I cose the DwgSee program
non-CAD users will be utilizing it - approx 75 of them and the siz of the program is much smaller than the Dwg Trueview and Design Review
I have learned there is a variable you can set to read the x-refs in the files, but it was unsuccessful
Our IS dept is supporting me by allowing me to store my files on their server for viewing capabilities by all BUT they are not allowing me access to maintain the files. In other words I can only over write files once loaded on the server, cannot delete any. It's a difficult situation to be in. They want a cake, but won't let you have any eggs kind of thing. Many of my files are x-ref'd to eachother. They will be dumping all my files into one directory on their server - I am sooooo not accustomed to this. If a file becomes obsolete, say the equipment or structure is demod and destroyed, I will not be able to remove the files from the server. There is no room for errors either, if it's not loaded the correct way the time, there will be duplicate files up the ying yang.
Thanks to all for your suggestions and input

Mufasa23
2011-08-16, 06:36 PM
a generic utility program
somethng that can be loaded either to the network or individually that will allow viewing and printing of CAD files, inclusive of the x-refs embedded in them.

Mufasa23
2011-08-16, 06:39 PM
I used Amethyst Cadwizz Ultra, from CA Design

It is pretty fast

Serge

Thanks, I will check this out

Mufasa23
2011-08-16, 07:45 PM
Yes, as jaberwok said why not using DWG TrueView shipped with your AutoCAD?

jaberwok was lazy. :p

FreeDwgViewer is a freeware and may be another option for Non-CAD users.

Thanks, I'll research the FreeDwgViewer