PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Parking Garage documentation

rparise658550
2011-08-10, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I am using REVIT 2011 for my first parking garage. I am looking for some advice on how to start. Basically, my question boils down to this:

do i model and warp the floor structure using the floor command, or can i model the actual precast t's and angle and slope them as they ramp around the structure?

basically, i feel it is a different way of thinking about it before getting started. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for your help.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-08-10, 03:35 PM
do i model and warp the floor structure using the floor command, or can i model the actual precast t's and angle and slope them as they ramp around the structure?

Yes ;)
Either way will work. I would suggest that if you are using pre-cast T's then model it that way. If the floors will be cast-in-place concrete model it that way. If the T's are done as beam objects they can 'warp' the overall surface based on their bearing elements.
No point in using a floor and having to add T's to your sections.
In my opinion the point of the exercise is to verify that whatever construction method is used you should be able to reproduce it modeling in Revit. You'll find out very quickly if using standard pre-cast T's will accommodate the design and give you the smooth transitions you're looking for, especially at the ramps.

MikeJarosz
2011-08-10, 04:18 PM
Think of the Tees as they would be constructed. They're fabricated off site, delivered and hoisted into place, maybe onto a poured in place frame. Revit can often mimic the construction sequence. Try to envision how this would be built by the contractor.

This is a perfect candidate for a parametric family. Jump in!

rparise658550
2011-08-10, 05:57 PM
thanks guys. i have been in architecture long enough to understand how this would be built, but without any of the knowledge necessary to build this in REVIT...should be fun!

i found this youtube clip which made me question the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mHjQE4vYEk
so i thought i'd ask the question here.

also, if these are parametric families, then they will never function as a true "floor", is that correct? and i am assuming it doesn't matter for a garage such as this.

i greatly appreciate the assistance of the community. this has been a great welcome.