PDA

View Full Version : Circular Roof Gem!

christo4robin
2005-01-13, 09:22 PM
I just discovered a new (I think) feature of 7.0. Circular roofs (as in on a tower or such) that are actually constructed as a series of pie shaped flat pieces - in 6.0 I had to actually draw the pie shaped pieces myself. In 7.0, it is smart enough to turn the sketched arcs into pie pieces and we have control over the number of segments!

I might be slow, but if this is new it is fantastic! If its not new then I am slow!

Scott D Davis
2005-01-13, 09:37 PM
Yes, it's new....notice that arcs and circles can be slope defining now!

Joef
2005-01-13, 10:29 PM
It is possible to control the number of segments but I have yet to figure out how to get, for instance, an arc divided into equal segments. Revit always splits the end segment.
The attached jpg shows the Revit version of "4 full segments". As you can see it is 3 full segments and 2 half segments. Bug or feature?

beegee
2005-01-13, 11:23 PM
It seems there is a bug with arc segments.

The work-around is to make a full circular roof and then cut off one half.

Joef
2005-01-14, 12:37 AM
How do you cut it in half? If you edit the roof and reduce the circle to a semicircle the problem persists.

beegee
2005-01-14, 12:45 AM
Use the " Opening " tool under the Modelling tab.

How do you cut it in half? If you edit the roof and reduce the circle to a semicircle the problem persists.

Joef
2005-01-14, 01:08 AM
Is there anywhere to post bugs like this or do we assume the appropriate people will find it here? How do we know for certain that this is a bug? Perhaps it is an unfinished feature and if we want it fixed it should be a wishlist item. It would be a shame if it 8.0 behaves the same way only because no one bothered to point it out to the factory.

beegee
2005-01-14, 01:17 AM
Yes, agreed.

Hopefully the Factory will weigh in with their view.

We do have the " Known Issues " forum to post bugs in ( Mod post only ) and we tend to wait until an issue is confirmed before doing that, as there are often good reasons, as you point out, why certain behaviour occurs.

In this case, its hard to see this as a feature, rather than a bug, but we'll give it a bit of time for a response.

Is there anywhere to post bugs like this or do we assume the appropriate people will find it here? How do we know for certain that this is a bug? Perhaps it is an unfinished feature and if we want it fixed it should be a wishlist item. It would be a shame if it 8.0 behaves the same way only because no one bothered to point it out to the factory.

Merlin
2005-01-14, 01:17 AM
Has anyone looked at possibley converting a mass object (dome) using the "Roof by Face"?...that mass solid could be easliy editable before converting.......or am I not reading the thread properly and off on a tangent (again)!?

beegee
2005-01-14, 02:06 AM
Its not as fast or as straightforward as creating a segmented roof.

Give it a try to compare methodologies.

Scott D Davis
2005-01-14, 02:14 AM
Just tried placing a pre-made cone family, then convert to roof, and Revit wont make it. I have a feeling it has to do with the 'point' of the cone, because the thickness of the roof is trying to wrap through itself near the tip.

beegee
2005-01-14, 02:24 AM
I tried it relatively successfully with a pre-made dome. However you then need to edit the mass shape to a segmented base, rather than an arc and also adjust the pitch height and it all became much more time consuming than simply creating a segmented roof, using the roof by footprint tool.

Merlin
2005-01-14, 05:50 AM
Scott,
If you were using the CONE, it may have only accepted a "Curtain wall by face" option rather than a roof.

BG,
Yes ...I've noticed now that the mass dome as curtain wall/roof/whatever also has "issues" with the end-framing mullions. They aren't really in a correct position with the adjacent panels on the opposing half-dome. They finish off that half of the dome, but they aren't centered on that end line (nor rotated)

....I'm toying around with adjusting the mullions at present.....I also noticed the horizontal mullions don't really connect well at their ends with those in the adjacent panels either. I'll have a crack at the way you've mentioned...It sounds like it would be faster, particularly if you have to adjust all those mullions..(or am I possibley missing something...again!)

cheers
John Mc