PDA

View Full Version : Using Revit

cgrover
2003-10-14, 07:29 PM
I'm curious on how many of you and/or your firms are using Revit exclusively as your Cadd software. Personally I'm struggling teaching and getting my AIT to be convinced Revit is the way to go. I believe Revit should be used for both design and construction documentation. I also realize that working in Revit takes a different thought process than working in a more conventional 2-D program, but the benefits far outweigh the complexities of the program. Any thoughts or ideas on incorporating Revit, peoples experiences when switching from Autocad, etc... would be appreciated.

Thanks,
grover

gregcashen
2003-10-14, 10:46 PM
On the projects for which I use Revit, I use only Revit. For the projects on which I use AutoCAD, I use only AutoCAD. Unless I already have a detail in .dwg that I need in revit....in that case I will link/import.

I think it is interesting that having used Revit for a while now (about 9 months) when I go back to AutoCAD, it feels slower than Revit. I know it is mostly a perception thing, but I get a lot more done in less time with Revit, no question.

cgrover
2003-10-15, 03:29 AM
I agree with getting alot more done in less time with Revit. I still consider myself a novice when it comes to working with Revit and it has been a challenge self teaching myself the program. I am grateful for this site and the help everyone here provides.

I'm also in the position of teaching another person, while trying to meet a deadline and she is struggling with the program and fighting it all the way. It is chanllenging but hopefully soon we will get through the obstacles we face and move on using Revit.

Thanks for the comments and help.

Allen Lacy
2003-10-15, 01:31 PM
I am an architect that works at a small firm and use Revit for all projects, from schematics to CD's. I occasionally have to go back to AutoCad for some older projects, but all Revit, all the time.

Have you looked into using the online training classes CLICK HERE (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2959029) for you or your associate?

cgrover
2003-10-15, 03:25 PM
Allen,

It is nice to hear of other architects in small firms using Revit 100%. We have went through most of the training classes, the one we are missing is on Components and I think that will help a lot. Families and their parameters are giving us the most trouble...but we are working at it.

I look forward to the day when we are proficient in Revit as we once were with AutoCad.

Thanks,
grover

David Sammons
2003-12-17, 03:06 PM
Allen,

Since you work almost exclusively with Revit and assuming that you contract with engineering consultants for the structural and PME portions of your projects, how well does Revit work in this arrangement? Do you share the same BIM with consultants?

Allen Lacy
2003-12-17, 03:23 PM
No, we typically export DWG's to our consultants. It's been said before that Revit makes a better AutoCad drawing than AutoCad (layers and lineweights are correct). I have not come across any engineers (or that many architects) in this area that are using Revit or other BIM programs.

Henry D
2003-12-17, 04:04 PM
I'll second that... I use to have to go through contortions to get my ADT drawings in a useable format for a structural engineer who was using Autocad 14. When I started using Revit, it was so easy to export , the dwg files were perfect, not one complaining peep out of the engineer!

David Sammons
2003-12-17, 04:47 PM
A complaining engineer?...Nah... :o

We don't complain...we reason earnestly in an effort to dissuade or correct... :wink:

Anyhow, while some (or many) engineering consultants may continue to request and use DWG files instead of using Revit, I believe a truly effective and valuable BIM should include all engineering disciplines (particularly structural). There really is no benefit to a project for the structural or other engineers to create their own BIM in Revit independent of the architect. Worksets seams to help with the BIM file sharing for consultants.

I would like to know how other architects address this issue when working with engineering consultants.

JamesVan
2003-12-17, 06:36 PM
I would like to know how other architects address this issue when working with engineering consultants.

We are working on our first pilot project. We are sharing one Architectural model between 2 offices over our WAN and our Structural engineers are working on their own Revit project in yet another of our offices. We link their RVT project into ours and vice-versa. So far, it has worked well. All the Architects really need to see is the geometry of the structure to design around, not to generate a column schedule or anything. Those are done by our engineers in their Revit file.

For other 'non-BIM' consultants, we still export DWG files for backgrounds, but we can now also provide sections, elevations and a 3D model to them for enhanced coordination, albeit via DWG.

John K.
2003-12-17, 07:19 PM
We rely entirely on Revit for our Contract Documents. My boss is nearly at the point of prefering to "sketch" design ideas on screen rather than on the board -- and he'd never used CAD before this year(!). I'm still amazed at how quickly I can throw in furniture, make some stair changes, and perhaps shift some wall elevations -- then call up a <<camera>> view and see how the above affects the space. Though I've always considered myself good at 'thinking' three-dimensionally, I've become very spoiled and cannot imagine having to layout space plans without this ability.

I may gripe about relying on one company for my bread and butter, but Revit will have to be pried "from my cold, dead hands."