PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Cutting a Linked DWG file

Joshua Kohl
2011-08-18, 07:16 PM
I have linked a 3D DWG steel model into my Revit 2012 project.

When I cut a section through an exterior wall in addition to the steel on the cut plane and that which is within the view depth of the section, it shows the steel that is "before" the sections cut plane.

Is there a way that I can get it to only show the steel that is getting cut by the section and that is within the crop region's view depth?

This is the first time that I have needed to link in a 3D DWG.

EDIT: This also happens in plan view. I have a basement level plan and it shows steel that is on the roof 5 floors above?

Thanks in advance.

antman
2011-08-18, 07:41 PM
You should have a couple options. Instead of directly linking it in, create an in-place mass, and link it into that. If the CAD you are linking has too many edges for Revit to handle (usually just if you have lots of curved surfaces), you can't link it in that way. You have to create a new family using the generic model template, and import it (link is not an option) into that.

bkarasiewicz885693
2011-08-30, 06:14 PM
I think Mr. Kohl is looking for a section that behaves correctly. I am also having the same problem. I saved inventor process steel as an .adsk file and imported it into revit. I then saved it as an .rfa and inserted it into my revit project. When I cut a section through it, it will cut through it correctly, but the perspective is off and inverted. It's a difficult problem to explain. Basically it doesn't cut the section, but does limit the depth of the view. Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Brian

antman
2011-08-30, 07:06 PM
I understand what it happening - I saw the same behavior trying to cut a section through an imported .dwg file. The steps I mentioned above gave me sections that appeared as intended. Since you are loading an .rfa, I wonder if it matters which family template you used. You might need to use the Generic Model one. Did you save to .rfa directly from Inventor?

bkarasiewicz885693
2011-09-01, 07:51 PM
Antman,

I was saving inventor files in .ADSK format, but instead exported the file to .SAT format. Then I added an inplace component using a generic model template to my revit project and then linked in the .SAT file. It worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice. It helped a lot.

Brian

Joshua Kohl
2011-09-07, 01:08 PM
You should have a couple options. Instead of directly linking it in, create an in-place mass, and link it into that. If the CAD you are linking has too many edges for Revit to handle (usually just if you have lots of curved surfaces), you can't link it in that way. You have to create a new family using the generic model template, and import it (link is not an option) into that.

antman,

I was finally able to get around to trying your suggestions. The link into mass didn't work for me so I tried the import into a GM approach and it works perfect. Thanks!!

tracyt
2012-01-26, 10:04 PM
I followed the above steps, putting the autocad link in to a generic model and it cuts and looks fine in section and in 3D. But I can't get it to display right in plan view? Any ideas as to why? I have attached an example.

Thanks for your help