PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Double Counting when "CUT" is used.

jeff112408
2011-08-18, 07:51 PM
Hey everyone!

I noticed an interesting and frustrating (glitch?) and wanted to see if anyone else experiences the same thing...

- 2x8 Decking Family was created with a LENGTH constraint.
- Imported into project
- 2x8 Decking Family was placed on top of joist framing, constrained to appropriate level and rotated at 45°
- The rest of the deck planks were copied over until the entire deck was covered
- I then created an In-Place Mass around the perimeter of the deck and applied the same Material Properties and cut the over-hanging pieces of the 2x8 Decking.

Once all the 2x8 planks were cut, I looked at my Schedule to verify that everything was working and to my surprise, every instance somehow recorded twice! I went through the process again without cutting the 2x8 Decking Families and WAH-LAH... Everything was counted only once. So I've determined that as soon as I use another mass to cut the edges of these 2x8 Planks, they becomes double counted. If anyone would like to see exactly what I'm talking about, I can post the project file or maybe make a quick youtube video.

Is anyone else experiencing this? And an even better question... Do you have a solution? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

cliff collins
2011-08-18, 09:13 PM
If the planks are "beams" then you can cut/trim them with a Reference Plane instead of a void
( I assume you meant an in-place void family, not an actual Mass family?).

cheers

jeff112408
2011-08-18, 09:30 PM
If the planks are "beams" then you can cut/trim them with a Reference Plane instead of a void
( I assume you meant an in-place void family, not an actual Mass family?).

cheers

Hey Cliff,

The 2x8 Decking is a Generic Model Family and does not trim to Reference Planes.
The reason I used another In-Place mass to cut the Decking Family is due to the fact that an "In-Place Mass-Void Form" doesn't intersect anything when it's initially created and deletes itself upon completion. I've found that if I use a Solid Form and match the material of the objects I am cutting, the cutting surface will remain the same material. I can then hide the mass in view and achieve the geometry I needed.

The only part that confuses me is why the 2x8 is counted twice once it is cut by any mass.

Mike Sealander
2011-08-19, 11:41 AM
Check the phase settings of your schedule and see if the Filter is set to None. You may be counting demolished pieces of decking.

jeff112408
2011-08-22, 04:59 PM
Check the phase settings of your schedule and see if the Filter is set to None. You may be counting demolished pieces of decking.

Hey Mike!

I just tried the Phase Filter and checked to see if there were any issues with phasing. Everything checks out okay. I think I'm going to build a very simple project file as an example and post it up here so people can see exactly what is happening.