PDA

View Full Version : Exercise ideas

uagrad89
2011-08-22, 04:32 AM
I have an exercise that I picked up several years ago for AutoCAD where the students draw a pool table and position balls (circles) on the table, then determine how far the cue ball travels to sink all the balls in order. I'm looking for other exercises along those lines but have had a very difficult time finding anything even remotely similar. Has anyone heard of anything along these lines and if so would you be willing to share them? If there's a book out there that might help I'd be willing to purchase it, obviously. I'm really just looking for anything to grab the students' (college) interest early and get them excited about using the program. Drawing a bunch of circles and polygons doesn't seem to cut it. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Wanderer
2011-08-22, 06:14 PM
I have an exercise that I picked up several years ago for AutoCAD where the students draw a pool table and position balls (circles) on the table, then determine how far the cue ball travels to sink all the balls in order. I'm looking for other exercises along those lines but have had a very difficult time finding anything even remotely similar. Has anyone heard of anything along these lines and if so would you be willing to share them? If there's a book out there that might help I'd be willing to purchase it, obviously. I'm really just looking for anything to grab the students' (college) interest early and get them excited about using the program. Drawing a bunch of circles and polygons doesn't seem to cut it. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.I'd say documenting anything existing would be a good exercise.

~chuckling~ I remember my high school drafting class, where we were asked to draw up our houses... then my teacher argued with me that no one would possibly build a roof the way mine was depicted... then I showed him photographs of the house which proved my drawing was right (even if the initial designer was not).

Maybe have a couple of items they can choose from... cool shoes or a video game console or something.

Misteracad
2011-08-23, 03:56 PM
~chuckling~ I remember my high school drafting class, where we were asked to draw up our houses... then my teacher argued with me that no one would possibly build a roof the way mine was depicted... then I showed him photographs of the house which proved my drawing was right (even if the initial designer was not).
Classic! :lol:

david_peterson
2011-08-23, 04:30 PM
One idea I was taught long ago for 3D in Acad was the 1"x1"x1" block cube.
Create the 3d block, then scale it to make tables and chairs.
More about how to move around and manipulate things in 3d for Acad.

jaberwok
2011-08-23, 07:16 PM
One idea I was taught long ago for 3D in Acad was the 1"x1"x1" block cube.
Create the 3d block, then scale it to make tables and chairs.
More about how to move around and manipulate things in 3d for Acad.

I also have unit-sized spherical and triangular corners (for when fillet and chamfer don't want to work all around a cube :roll: ).

cadtag
2011-09-02, 06:53 PM
if you want to stretch the students, take a look at

http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html

especially looking into the drawing development and modeling needed to build a not-so-simple sawhorse.

Chris is one amazing fellow...