PDA

View Full Version : Handrail Assistance

jcoe
2011-08-24, 01:05 PM
I am trying to model an existing stair and have run into a snag. I would like to replicate the attached condition, but the top portion of the rail changes directions in two different planes. Everything I have tried to create can only reference one work plane at a time, and because of the circular profile and the radius, this really needs to be created as a single shape.

dan302720
2011-08-24, 07:55 PM
have you tried to sweeps within the same family on different planes that you then "join" to give you the continuous look that you are trying to achieve?

cdatechguy
2011-08-24, 08:11 PM
You need to create a custom baluster post...and use that post as your start (or end) of the railing type.

jcoe
2011-08-24, 08:35 PM
have you tried to sweeps within the same family on different planes that you then "join" to give you the continuous look that you are trying to achieve?

Thanks for the response.
I did try using multiple sweeps and joining, but the issue I am running into is that the radius is to tight and will not generate each sweep separately. Each sweep I create errors out when I try this.

You need to create a custom baluster post...and use that post as your start (or end) of the railing type.

Thanks for the response. This was the approach I already took.

jcoe
2011-08-24, 08:38 PM
Thinking about this a little more, would it make any sense to model this a larger rectangular extrusion and use void shapes to remove the unwanted material?

If I do this, would the void create havoc with my balustrade?