PDA

View Full Version : Creating Curtain wall elevations using a custom elevation tag

dan302720
2011-08-24, 05:13 PM
I am currently trying to create a custom elevation tag and can't seem to get it to work. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I am trying to do something similar to this:
http://revitdialog.com/2011/01/24/creating-curtain-wall-elevations-using-a-custom-elevation-tag/#comment-145
The office standard window tag is a little different that what is shown in the above example (it is a diamond shape rather than a hexagon, but it is exactly what I am trying to achieve. Any help would be appreciated.

cdatechguy
2011-08-24, 05:58 PM
A Curtain Wall tag is a Wall Tag... I've modified a wall tag to look like our window tags...
So be sure your using the correct type of tag first. If its still not working upload the tag to here so we can find out what is going wrong.

dan302720
2011-08-24, 06:45 PM
Thank you for your response, but it is not a wall, curtain wall, or window tag that I was trying to create. I was trying to create a custom elevation tag to look like my window tag so that when I create a new elevation of the curtain wall, the elevation mark looks like my window tag. I've actually figured it out, but have come across another issue with this.
I am now able to create an elevation of my window and have the elevation mark look like a window tag (what I was trying to accomplish in my original post), but now the problem that I have is that my "window type" reference (ie: W1 or W17 or whatever the window type is going to be) is only able to reference the category parameters for the elevations; ie: Detail number, Reference Label, Referencing Detail, Referencing Sheet, Sheet Number, or View Name.
What this means is: if I have more that one instance of Window Type W1, for example, and I want to tag every instance on the plan of this window type, I am not able to. This is a result of not being allowed to have two views with the same name. Revit will not allow me to add another Parameter to the Category Parameters of an elevation. Any thoughts?
Here is my Custom Elevation Marker/Window Tag.
Have a look and try it out in your project and you will be able to better understand what I mean.
In order to use/see the new elevation marker, you first have to create a new elevation tag from the additional settings tab, and then duplicate an existing elevation type and replace the elevation tag with the new type, but you probably already knew that.

dan302720
2011-08-24, 07:01 PM
OK!, I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!....Duh..When placing a new elevation you can always reference another view. Therefore, referencing your original elevation view of W1, the elevation/tag will read the same. If you make changes to W1, rename it or whatever, all of the elevation view referring back to the original change with it...
SWEET!.
Enjoy the elevation mark/window tag everybody.
Dan

hworrell
2012-05-18, 09:03 PM
Hi - I was just curious how you are handling windows at clearstories that might not be able to be labeled on plans. Have you gotten revit to be 'smart' about labeling them in elevation as well?

thansk!
Heather