PDA

View Full Version : 2012 best way to align a curtain system across adjacent faces of a mass?

danger3sque
2011-08-25, 03:40 AM
Hi, I have a somewhat complex mass that I have imported from Rhino that I am trying to develop a curtain system from it in Revit. I noticed that I can select the individual faces of the entire curtain system from the mass and change the angle of the grid, but is there a more precise and less tedious way of getting a grid to space consistently across many faces?

Also, should I instead be trying to model this with curtain walls within Revit? In that case, what would the best strategy be?

This is actually an existing building (saxo bank by 3xn) that I'm modelling as a case study / to learn Revit better. Thanks!

hadlari
2011-08-25, 03:07 PM
Looking at your rhino import family I noticed that there are many faces on the curve that will mess you up.

I would start by recreating the shape in Revit. It looks to be easy a profile for the bottom and a profile for the top. i you are familiar with the conceptual modeling process this should be simple enough if not there are many resources online that you can find. while recreating the shape in Revit make sure your top and bottom profiles, as they are different, are equal ( same amount of straight lines and same amount of curves used) this will insure a proper mass with surfaces that will be easier to work with.

Next step you will want to start playing with pattern based curtain wall families. Check out this website:
http://designreform.net/

You will also have to look into divide surface by intersection. This will help you control your divided surface to exactly what you want... assuming you are using a version of Revit where this is available.

From the image I can’t be quite sure bit it seems like some of the panels are transitioning from the flat Revit surface to a curved Revit surface... TRICKY! :) I would probably leave this panel blank on both surfaces and just model it in place. Rough stuff.

danger3sque
2011-08-26, 06:21 AM
Wow thanks for the help! This should keep me busy for a while.

About dividing surfaces... are UV grids and manually drawn lines/planes the only options for this? Are there any sort of mapping tools (e.g. planar, surface, box, sphere, etc.) in Revit like those used to texture objects in other 3d software? Assuming these are developable surfaces, it would be great if we could just unroll them flat, draw some dividing lines on them, and have them roll back into position divided up. ...Something tells me these are items for the wish list :)