PDA

View Full Version : Visibility of in-place generic models

Exar Kun
2005-01-14, 04:01 AM
Is there an easy way to control the visibilty of an in-place generic object? I've made a ramp using the generic models family within my project and want to be able to turn it off in plan views. However, the visibility settings only allow me to turn off external families pulled into the project. Must I resort to making this ramp externally? (And I haven't used the ramp tool because, quite frankly, it isn't very good).

TIA

luigi
2005-01-14, 05:41 PM
Every object in Revit has a category associated to them and a sub-category can be associated to them as well. For instance, when you first create an "in-place" component it will ask you which category it should be in. So every object is in a category.
Now if you are not sure which category this component is, all you have to do is:
1. select it and edit it.
2. Go to the drop down menu "Settings"
3. select "Family Category and Parameters..."
4. Choose the proper family

and now the appropriate family has been associated to your component.

Also, if you want to take advantage of the sub-category (which is very handy when you want to turn off some portions, or have different line weights, etc. of the sub-category and not the whole category) you need to:
1. Go to the drop down menu "Settings"
2. Go to "Object Styles"
3. Highlight the category you want to add a sub-category to
4. click on "New" found at the bottom portion titled "Modify Sub Categories"
5. Under "Name" add the name of preference for the Sub Category
6. Under "Subcategory of" make sure the earlier highlighted Category is selected
7. Confirm your selection.
8. Edit your In Place component, select the 3d/2d object
9. Go to its "Properties"
10. Change the sub category to be the one you created
11. Finish your creation and......
12. You are good to go...

Hope this helps,

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-01-14, 06:59 PM
Exar,

In what case would you not want a ramp showing up on a plan view?

Exar Kun
2005-01-17, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the tip, Luigi!

Exar,

In what case would you not want a ramp showing up on a plan view?

The ramp in question is being cut in an awkward place and for the purposes of this job we would like to show the entire ramp in the plan - so will be drawing it all with detail lines. I know I could use invisible linework to hide where the ramp is being cut but the plan becomes more workable if there are just detail lines to deal with.

Mr Spot
2005-01-17, 02:47 AM
Why not use a plan region around the ramp so its not cut rather than detail lines?

Exar Kun
2005-01-17, 03:23 AM
Why not use a plan region around the ramp so its not cut rather than detail lines?
Mainly because I've yet to delve into plan regions and so never even thought of doing something like that. Thanks for the tip - I'll look into it. :)