PDA

View Full Version : levels again!

rjjlee
2005-01-14, 06:55 AM
Has anyone else come across this problem? I've got a 6.1 dwg that I have now upgraded into 7. The levels mostly haven't shown up, so I've drawn a couple of huge sections through the site. I can see the levels, but I can't do a thing to the 3d toggle. The 2D-3D text doesn't come up at all. I've loaded the level head into a new project and it works fine, just not in the upgraded project. What to do?!!

beegee
2005-01-14, 08:56 AM
Try Right Click & reset 3D extents.

tbarnesarc
2005-01-14, 06:58 PM
I had the same stupid problem as well. Contact Revit support. They will you ask you to upload the file to buzz saw and then they will fix it and give it back. I had to do this couple of times with some files that had that issue. It must be some sort of bug. Hope that helps.

rjjlee
2005-01-16, 11:59 PM
Beegee:
Resetting 3D extents just shortens the level lines out out of the crop region.

Taylor:
Thanks for that advice. Am glad it's not just me! :) Silly question- how do I a file to Revit support? Haven't done it before.

Renee

beegee
2005-01-17, 12:50 AM
Beegee:
Resetting 3D extents just shortens the level lines out out of the crop region.
Renee
Renee,

Once you have reset the 3D extents, can you grab the grips and extend the lines to where they should be ? That should work for all parallel views once done.

SkiSouth
2005-01-17, 01:00 AM
Oh, no! The dancing Penquins have disappeared - Looks like a ride on a hog in open sky country..

Mr Spot
2005-01-17, 01:14 AM
The 2D/3D extents annotation will not show up unless the new sections are exactly perpendicular to the level planes. Think of the level planes as big rectangles, unless your section cuts parallel to one of the edges you will be unable to make 3d changes to the plane.

This can be difficult if you have rotated your project relative to true north...?

rjjlee
2005-01-17, 02:28 AM
Mr Spot,

You genius! I hadn't thought of it like that before. Yes, my drawing is rotated. I've just drawn a section perpendicular to the original angle and the 2D-3D toggle is working now. 2 weeks' worth of gratitude (the length of time I've been trying to work this out...)(well ignoring the problem, really)

Renee

p.s. I refuse to change the spelling of weeks' to weeks's. The dictionary can't be right on that one...

Mr Spot
2005-01-17, 02:41 AM
No worries...

Shouldn't the spelling be week's??? weeks' is a plural of a plural...

rjjlee
2005-01-17, 03:47 AM
weeks- plural
and
's- as in belonging to
and
when an 's occurs after an 's' you drop the 's' behind as in James'

beegee
2005-01-17, 04:10 AM
As a member of the Apostrophe Protection Society, I couldn’t let this opportunity pass…

The Apostrophe Protection Society was started in 2001 by John Richards, now its Chairman, with the specific aim of preserving the correct use of this currently much abused punctuation mark in all forms of text written in the English language.

The rules concerning the use of Apostrophes in written English are very simple:

1. They are used to denote a missing letter or letters, for example:

I can't instead of I cannot

I don't instead of I do not

it's instead of it is

2. They are used to denote possession, for example:

the dog's bone

the company's logo

Jones's bakery (but Joneses' bakery if owned by more than one Jones)

... but please note that the possessive form of it does not take an apostrophe any more than ours, yours or hers do

the bone is in its mouth

... however, if there are two or more dogs, companies or Joneses in our example, the apostrophe comes after the 's':

the dogs' bones

the companies' logos

Joneses' bakeries

3. Apostrophes are NEVER ever used to denote plurals! Common examples of such abuse (all seen in real life!) are:

Banana's for sale which of course should read Bananas for sale

Menu's printed to order which should read Menus printed to order

MOT's at this garage which should read MOTs at this garage

1000's of bargains here! which should read 1000s of bargains here!

New CD's just in! which should read New CDs just in!

Buy your Xmas tree's here! which should read Buy your Xmas trees here!

Note: Special care must be taken over the use of your and you're as they sound the same but are used quite differently:
your is possessive as in this is your pen
you're is short for you are as in you're coming over to my house

Merlin
2005-01-17, 05:16 AM
BeeGee has shown mastery in another form!...yep....the correct punctuation is WEEKS' .....Well, I'm happy thats sorted out!...oops "that's"....*s*

On another level query....I just tried to create levels through an elevation view....got all the way through adding each of the 25 levels needed and then noticed the Project Browser hadn'y updated and nothing showing on the Section view either.....Can levels only be created in the Section window?

John Mc

Chad Smith
2005-01-17, 05:51 AM
On another level query....I just tried to create levels through an elevation view....got all the way through adding each of the 25 levels needed and then noticed the Project Browser hadn'y updated and nothing showing on the Section view either.....Can levels only be created in the Section window?John Mc
I've noticed this recently too. It happens only when copying an existing level. It doesn't show up in the project browser and the colour of my datum arrow is black instead of my usual blue.

Ed: It's for this reason I don't copy levels at the moment but rather create new ones, until I find out why.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-01-17, 05:54 AM
You can create levels in an elevation view but plans will not be created automatically unless the 'make plan view' checkbox is selected while creating them. The other reason levels won't have plans associated with them is if the levels were arrayed or copied instead of created individually.

You can always create a plan view from the levels you have by going to the New/view/floor plan menu and create from the existing levels.

Chad Smith
2005-01-17, 05:59 AM
I think I see now.

I noticed that when I copied a level my datum arrow is black. But then I 'View / New / Floor Plan' and associate it with the newly copied level, the datum arrow changes back to blue.

I think when a level is copied, it needs to have the 'Make Plan View' option on the Options Bar. Currently there is no option.

beegee
2005-01-17, 06:11 AM
The procedure was changed after 6.0, from memory, because levels that are associated with plan views are considered to be "floor defining" and thus having extra views affected various elements that have "up to next level" attributes.

The confusion comes from the fact that there exist two different kinds of elements - levels and views (plans and rcps) . It is a common practice to name plan views the same as corresponding levels; however they are indeed separate and distinct. What you see in the browser is a list of views not levels. When you making a level in elevation view observe a checkbox in the option bar. This checkbox allows making a level without making associated plan and rcp.

Merlin
2005-01-17, 06:45 AM
hmmm....I thought as much.....I'll have to bear that in mind....I also notice that it wouldn't result from a copy or array; it would be nice to have the option though I can see it would be difficult to integrate....

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-17, 04:30 PM
As a member of the Apostrophe Protection Society, I couldn’t let this opportunity pass…I too am a proud defender of the Queen's English and am very glad to hear that another Revit user has taken it upon himself to properly use punctuation, use reflexive pronouns, and otherwise ensure that written communication is not bastardised by the continuing devolution of language such as we see on the internet today.

Good on ya mate! :beer:

Scott D Davis
2005-01-17, 05:40 PM
yeah, an I ain't gonna stands fer that no longer, neither!

gravelin
2005-01-17, 05:47 PM
I noticed that when I copied a level my datum arrow is black. But then I 'View / New / Floor Plan' and associate it with the newly copied level, the datum arrow changes back to blue.

This suggest you that now you have a link to this view
Black : no link
Blue : linked to a view

Chad Smith
2005-01-17, 09:23 PM
This suggest you that now you have a link to this view
Black : no link
Blue : linked to a view
That seems to be how it works.

rjjlee
2005-01-17, 11:05 PM
Beegee,

Can I join? I cringe everytime an apostrophe's used to denote plural items... which unfortunately is happening more and more.