PDA

View Full Version : Export revit link to Navisworks

CADDaddy
2011-08-26, 10:06 PM
I want to export a SECTION of a revit file that contains two links (arch/struct) into navisworks. However, when I do this, it exports the entire file, and not just the section. I dont want to bind the link because my architectual files are huge and this will take FOREVER. I need the files in revit because I have many sections created that need to be saved so that when the arch/struct files are updated, I wont need to redraw my sections. Any suggestions? I tried playing around with the export to navisworks settings with no luck.

Steve_Stafford
2011-08-26, 11:28 PM
When you export there is a button (in the same place you provide a file name for export) to edit the Navisworks Settings. You need to tell it to export just the current view, not the entire model. Make sure the view you want to export is open.

CADDaddy
2011-08-29, 03:01 PM
I have the export to navisworks settings set to current view, and the 3D section I'm exporting is the open screen. I think the problem occurs because I'm exporting a linked file..

Steve_Stafford
2011-08-29, 05:42 PM
That'll do it. Didn't you get a warning about some elements couldn't be exported?

CADDaddy
2011-08-29, 06:52 PM
I did get a warning.. My next step was to bind the linked revit arch and struct files. The structural went through, but for some reason the Arch link came up with an error saying that it could not be binded. (What would be some reasons for a linked file not being able to be binded?) My current format consists of a blank document with the arch and struct revit files linked in, so that I can make all of my sections now in the "dummy" file, and later when the arch and struct files are updated, I can just load the new ones in and take the old ones out... Now im not sure of how to set this up. I want to avoid remaking my sections each time the arch and struct files are updated, and I also want to be able to make all of my sections now. If you have any suggestions, i could definately use them. (Im working on a 6D project right now, where the owner will be able to click on the links in navisworks, and get directed to the cut sheet for the individual appliances. This is why I am making a section for each unit. Also, the structual and architectual files for this building are still being updated, so I must be able to update the 6D with the updated arch/struct files without having to resection each unit everytime.)

Steve_Stafford
2011-08-29, 07:53 PM
Assuming your project files are sharing their project origin or using shared coordinates, do the export from the other project files. Append them all in Navis.