PDA

View Full Version : Curtain wall with fixed vertical distance

nextvkin
2011-08-29, 04:07 AM
Hi,
I made a curtain wall to represent a regular panelled wall, set the Vertical Grid Pattern Layout to Fixed Distance & gave it a Spacing of 1800. When I draw the wall, if I'm not exact and drag it to say 4m, it gives me a wall of 4m with 2 panels of 1800 + a small (400) deformed bit. I expected it to just terminate at multiples of 1800. What am I not doing right? Thanks.

Mike Sealander
2011-08-29, 11:57 AM
Try the Minimum Spacing option.

nextvkin
2011-08-29, 01:19 PM
Hi Mike, unfortunately the minimum spacing option still doesn't give me the exact 1800 panel size I want, but merely gives me equal spacings of whatever distance I've dragged the wall to, eg when I drag it 13m I get 7 panels of 1857.1 each. Seems the only way to do it is to calculate the distance first, something I was hoping I didn't have to do, then drag it to that point (using fixed distance option). That way I'll get the exact 1800 panel with no leftover.

Mike Sealander
2011-08-29, 02:00 PM
There are quite a lot of things you just have to calculate outside the model in order for it to work in Revit. It seems what you were looking for was a way to "snap" the length of the curtainwall in 1800 increments. Revit won't do that, but there are ways to achieve the same effect, short of using a calculator. I often draw reference planes to define the left and right border of a curtain wall prior to drawing the curtain wall. This way, you can dimension the distance between reference planes, and then snap your curtain wall to the reference planes.

renogreen
2011-08-29, 03:16 PM
I have always found the Fixed Distance and Fixed Number layout to be frustrating to work with. Seems like you spend a lot of time "fixing" it afterwards. I usually set it to none, draw my curtain wall and then open an elevation and create my grids from there. That way I get them where I want them the first time.

nextvkin
2011-08-29, 11:24 PM
Thanks Mike & renogreen for your suggestions, at least I know there's really nothing wrong with my wall.