PDA

View Full Version : Wall Sweep

Arkman
2011-08-29, 02:12 PM
I have some windows with precast sill. Its a standard brick on metal stud wall with the face of the window set back a couple inches. I have a precast sill that I made as a wall sweep. My problem is that since the window is set back from the face of the wall the sill (sweep) only cuts the wall where it goes past the face. There has to be a way to make this work the way I want aside from doing a void at every wall then doing a sweep. Which would be fine except I can't make one void and copy it I have to make a new "Model in Place" void for each window and that would be really time consuming.

See the attached couple photos. They show what's happening and what I want. I also will try and attach the profile I'm using.

Arkman
2011-08-29, 02:17 PM
I just noticed that the "Right way" image is a little tough to read with that red triangle. If you notice that on the "Wrong way" image there is a line just above the red triangle and just to the side. This is actually a small chunk of wall not being cut. You don't see that in the "Right way" image

cliff collins
2011-08-29, 02:18 PM
You could try adding the precast sweep and a void in the window family itself--or even "nesting" the sill
and void families into the window family.

This way, each time you add a new window it will have the sill and void and cut the wall properly,
saving a lot of manual editing time.

Have not tested the exact profile as you show, but have done a similar one in the past.

cheers

Arkman
2011-08-29, 02:44 PM
That makes sense Cliff. But i don't think it will work in this case. Our windows are actually revit curtainwall that we place in the wall then cut out. So I can't really nest a sill in the family...I dont think.

Mike Sealander
2011-08-29, 05:52 PM
Make a generic model family that's wall hosted. Put the void in the family. Put the stone sill in the family. Place them under your curtain wall windows.

Arkman
2011-08-29, 08:53 PM
Done. Seems to work well. Thanks Mike!

cliff collins
2011-08-30, 08:55 PM
Didn't catch the curtain wall window part................

good solution.