PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Baluster Spacing Problem

stephenp745878
2011-08-29, 04:59 PM
I have a tricky problem a railing that requires a spacing that I cannot figure out. I want the rail to act like the attached PDF, where there is a 5'-0" space in the middle, and the remaining length just gets added to the ends. It works until the rail is 10' long by using a 5'-0" Distance from Previous in the baluster type, but anything longer than 10'-0" yields two 5'-0" center sections. For example, when I make the railing 11'-0" long, Revit gives two 5'-0" sections centered on the railing, and two 0'-6" sections at the ends. I want it to have a 5'-0" center section in the center and a 3'-0" section on either side. Is there a way to force the center to be 5'-0" and just divide the rest up evenly until the side sections are 5'-0" as well?

Thanks!

Mike Sealander
2011-08-30, 12:54 AM
Set Justify to Center. Set Excess Fill Length to Truncate Pattern.

stephenp745878
2011-08-30, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Mike, but doing that yields something like the left image, when I was trying to get it to look more like the right one.

The solution I ended up going with was to set the Justify to Center, but to split the rail path so there were three sections, starting and ending where I wanted the baluster to be. Not a perfect solution, but it works for the small balconies we needed them for.

eccross
2012-02-21, 04:15 PM
I ran into the same issue while setting up standard handrails.

When you choose to center justify, it centers the pattern, so if you only have one baluster, it will center that baluster and truncate from that point out. If you add a second baluster, it will justify from the center of the two balusters and truncate out from there. Since there isn't a standard in railing distances just repeat your pattern until you get one that justifies well.