PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Show Drywall Different Height Than Stud

dzinrgeek
2011-08-30, 02:27 PM
I tried to do a search, and couldn't find what I am looking for, so I apologize if this has been posted before...

Because I am sure someone else has wanted to show this....

I have a "wall type" where the studs go to deck and the drywall only goes to 6" above the finished ceiling. For some reason I thought I had seen some where you can do this. Or I just think you can since you can split the region....

Can someone describe how you do this, or point me in the direction on how to do this...

ArchTech247
2011-08-30, 02:39 PM
You could create a stacked wall with the base wall having the studs with the drywall up to a specified height. Then the top wall being just a stud wall with the height set to variable. Although you may have to create a separate stacked wall type for each ceiling height in the project.

cliff collins
2011-08-30, 04:12 PM
Another possibility:

In Revit 2012, you can use "Parts" or "Assemblies" and drag the layer of drywall down to expose the studs.

Was not sure if you were using 2012 or not.

cheers

dzinrgeek119887
2011-08-30, 05:02 PM
Another possibility:

In Revit 2012, you can use "Parts" or "Assemblies" and drag the layer of drywall down to expose the studs.

Was not sure if you were using 2012 or not.

cheers
Yes using 2012

Parts and Assemblies, is that a per instance? So I would need to go to each wall placed and drag down the drywall?

Looking to modify the wall family/type. To make it universal, and no brainer while placing/replacing the walls.

dzinrgeek119887
2011-08-30, 05:21 PM
You could create a stacked wall with the base wall having the studs with the drywall up to a specified height. Then the top wall being just a stud wall with the height set to variable. Although you may have to create a separate stacked wall type for each ceiling height in the project.
I am with ya. This sounds like the best way to achieve it. Thanks for the tip, I came to the same conclusion this morning after reading "How To" in "No Experience Req'd" & "Mastering Revit"... Just testing the water to see if there is a better way.

rbuch
2011-08-30, 09:29 PM
Another way to achieve this is by unlocking the gyp bd layer. Go to the Type Parameter then to Edit Structure. Be sure to have the Preview selected with the Section view displayed. Select the Modify button and zoom in to the top of the wall. When you select the top of a layer (gyp bd) the padlock will appear. When you unlock it it will have it's own instance parameter and the height can be adjusted independently from the wall. This works for both the top and bottom.

ArchTech247
2011-08-30, 09:35 PM
Another way to achieve this is by unlocking the gyp bd layer. Go to the Type Parameter then to Edit Structure. Be sure to have the Preview selected with the Section view displayed. Select the Modify button and zoom in to the top of the wall. When you select the top of a layer (gyp bd) the padlock will appear. When you unlock it it will have it's own instance parameter and the height can be adjusted independently from the wall. This works for both the top and bottom.

I was not aware of that feature, thanks for the awesome tip!

Mike Sealander
2011-08-30, 10:38 PM
In fact, there are two other ways to do the same thing. You could draw your gwb as a separate wall, and join it to your stud wall. Or, you could create a reveal to void out the top of the gwb.
There are limitations with unlocking the gwb layer, namely with attaching the wall to deck above, but in general it's a good method.
Some people love stacked walls. I'm not one of them.

Rick Moore
2011-08-31, 02:04 PM
Another limitation is the layers have be next to each other so you couldn't have unlocked gyp on both sides

RobG
2011-08-31, 02:57 PM
Another limitation is the layers have be next to each other so you couldn't have unlocked gyp on both sides

that's a bit of a downer about that feature. While I understand the inability to have multiple heights for elements, the fact that a material (drywall in this case) can't be disconnected on either side of the core (stud) to have the same height is indeed annoying! a stud to underside of floor with gyp stopping 6" above ceiling on both sides would be easily done using this feature!

contact.andrewk968454
2011-09-01, 12:57 PM
I'd make a series of wall types with different wall reveal heights. More work at the start, but worth it in the end.

RobG
2011-09-01, 03:14 PM
I'd make a series of wall types with different wall reveal heights. More work at the start, but worth it in the end.

I'd be weary of that, cause then you have a TON of wall types.
deal with it in detail or have a note on the current wall type saying it stops 6" above finished ceiling.

just some food for thought. as usual, a bunch of ways to skin a cat!

contact.andrewk968454
2011-09-01, 03:38 PM
True...

It all depends on how it's applied. If it's going to be hidden above the finished ceiling then there's really no need to model it as long as it doesn't cause any clash issues. This seems like a section view detail thing.

Mike Sealander
2011-09-01, 06:28 PM
Unless you are going to do a GWB take-off. In which case stacked wall might be the way to go. Unfortunately, every method has a liability, in either modeling time, or functionality, or something.

antman
2011-09-01, 06:48 PM
Also, I have gotten errors when trying to switch back and forth between basic and stacked wall types, once the design had progressed. Unless I was just doing something wrong, it seems that whichever route you pick, you are stuck with unless you are willing to take the time to review whatever might have gotten messed up in the process. If I recall correctly, I think that Revit told me any dimensions that referenced the wall would be deleted.

snowocean
2011-10-11, 04:10 PM
Is there anyway to use the unlock layer function at an angle? I currently have a gymnasium in the center of the building and want to pull the stucco 16" above the finish roof. The finish roof is sloped.