PDA

View Full Version : Make Editable Worksets

pwmsmith
2005-01-14, 04:59 PM
This is my first venture into 'worksets' and have made a set called 'foundation and footing'. Moved selected walls to 'workset'. No problem so far.
However, when I go to make changes to the drawing it informs me I do not have permission to make changes. Of course there is the button to make items editable but why am I getting this warning on every item? In the workset dialog box ever thing thing was checked editable.
Just would like to know.

pwmsmith
2005-01-14, 05:37 PM
Screw workset! Things are realy strange now. I can move walls in plan but they don't show in elevation. I'm going back to 1 hour ago and forget worksets.

aaronrumple
2005-01-14, 06:12 PM
The reason you might get the "Make Editable" is for several reasons... but basically you haven't checked out an item that needs to be edited.

A. Model Objects belong to a workset. You need to check out the objects you want to edit.
B. Views are worksets. If you need to edit 2D information on a view or change the view settings the view must be checked out.
C. Families area worksets. If you want to change a wall type - it must be checked out.
D. Project Settings and Standards area worksets...

To check out objects.
A. Use the workset dialog. Don't forget the view, families, and project settings check boxes.
B. Uncheck Editable Only. Select the objects you want to edit, right click and "Make Editable" This is borrowing.
C. For views, select the view or sheet with view - right click and make editable (with all views)

If you drew an object in one view and it doesn't appear in another, then you've placed the object in a workset not visible in the other view.

Quite easy once you get the hang of it - but you should heed the warning dialog that says get some training before using worksets....

Scott D Davis
2005-01-14, 06:20 PM
Screw workset! Things are realy strange now. I can move walls in plan but they don't show in elevation. I'm going back to 1 hour ago and forget worksets.
Ahh yes, one of the Seven Stages of Revit.....

Remember, once you enable worksets in a project, there is no 'disable' worksets. You have to continue using them, even if you are a single users, checking out the entire project at once.

Keep at it....you'll get it!

Joef
2005-01-14, 06:39 PM
I enabled worksets just to get something to not plot and I wish I hadn't done it. There must be an easier way to control visibility. Every time I opened the file I had to make everything editable, which means not just the workset I have set up but every view and every sheet ! Since there is no workset that says "Sheets and Views" I had to select all sheets and views and make them editable. Personally I would not recommend using worksets if you are the only person working on the project. I think time would be better spent petitioning Autodesk to improve the visibility tools.
Basically the problem is with system families. If you create your own family you can use subcategories, but with things like stairs and walls there is no such feature.
If there is anyone out there who has set up a successful strategy for solo worksets, I would like to learn about it. All the help files on worksets assume you are actually using it to control workflow, and not to control visibility.

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-14, 06:47 PM
...Screw workset!...Breathe...;-) Worksets are not that hard...just some different rules to follow. If you are working by yourself, just work in the central file, check out all worksets and don't relinquish them. Next time you open the file, business as usual.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-01-14, 06:52 PM
Joe,

I use worksets all the time on solo projects. The primary objective is to control visibility but on larger projects it can also speed things up considerably by allowing you to selectively load portions of the project.
The one reminder I would offer to single operators out there is that you don't need to set up a local file if you are the only one working on the project. You can work directly in the central file and you only need to use the workset dialogue once, check all the worksets out (including views, families etc). The key to this is to not relinquish any of the worksets once you're done.
All that said I agree with you that we need the ability to create subcategories in a greater variety of places.

(Steve. easy to be quicker when you're not as verbose :Oops: )

Joef
2005-01-14, 07:05 PM
Thanks Dimitri. Since I set up a local file, I had to keep checking things out. I thought there would be unforeseen problems if I failed to set up the local file. Next time I will work in the central file. When you first set up worksets it is extremely annoying to have to "make editable" every time you want to do even the slightest change. Knowing that it is possible to check everything out and keep it checked out will encourage me to try it again. Of course that is after making sure I have exhausted all other possibilities!

MikeJarosz
2005-01-14, 07:19 PM
Screw workset!

Let me guess.... you work alone.

What if you had a multi story project and a staff of 10 to keep busy? You would discover worksets very quickly, I think.

pwmsmith
2005-01-14, 07:43 PM
Mike, yes I work alone.
Steve, yes I'm breathing now and normal color has returned.
Aaron, thanks but will try later on simpler project. Still gun shy after last blast.

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-14, 07:44 PM
...yes I'm breathing now and normal color has returned...Good! We've talked you "down"...for now...

sbrown
2005-01-14, 08:10 PM
To make all worksets editable is very quick, click the puzzle peice, then check all the boxes at the bottom, user, views, families, project standards, then click CTRL + A, then editable.

mwenta
2005-01-14, 08:19 PM
I would suggest that worksets be enabled only if you have more than one person working on a project. In my opinion it's pointless to enable worksets unless you know that there will be multiple people working on a project. In our firm we use worksets quite regularly and find them to be quite beneficial (to those that understand them); for those that don't they quite frustrated like yourself. Even though you have all of the worksets checked out you don't automatically check out the elements or properties associated to a specific view. After you open your drawing and for example you want to open the first floor floor plan; right click on the view you want to open. Once you do this you will see a dialog box open; you will then notice that you have the option to "Make Worksets Editable" select this and you shouldn't get that message anymore.You have now checked out all of the elements, families, and project standards associated with that view. Now be warned that once you "Save to Central" if you leave all of the boxes checked in the save dialog box you will give up ownership of everything (with the exception of worksets) you previously checked out. If you intend to keep working in the project and you know that you will be going back to views that you previously opened, de-select the boxes.
Worksets can be confusing at first but once you get the hang of it they work great. Hang in there you'll get it soon enough.

jcoe
2005-01-14, 10:14 PM
Scott,
So that is how you select them all. I have been trying to figure this out. I am curious as to why you cannot select multiple rows by dragging the mouse down after highlighting the first one. That seems more intuitive to me then adding additional key strokes. Just a thought. Ctrl+A....geewiz.

pwmsmith
2005-01-14, 10:45 PM
mwenta,
The reason I went to worksets was to turn-off the foundation and footing in my ortho and elevations. Typically they are not shown in elevation in this area. Scott B. was so kind (ahem) to show me this technique this week and today I tried it solo. Sort of like giving a bath to a bobcat using only one hand. Should have done my research first.
Thanks everyone.

sbrown
2005-01-15, 03:59 AM
LIke I told you, make sure you take the training on worksets. While they are easy to activate, you do need to understand the behavior. Once understood, I can't imagine getting thru a project without the use of worksets. It took me a couple years to get here though, many of you probably remember my rants about worksets. Since release 6, they have been much more stable and predictable.

Larger projects or detailed projects require worksets or else you will waste many hours of regen time and slow frustrating performance. I highly recomend all revit users learn how to take advantage of worksets.

Feel free pwmsmith to give me a call if you have some problems before you bail out.

papurajx
2005-01-19, 09:23 AM
Scott,
So that is how you select them all. I have been trying to figure this out. I am curious as to why you cannot select multiple rows by dragging the mouse down after highlighting the first one.
Select the first row and press 'shift key' and select the last row....(everything will be selected) and click on 'make editable' button....you can do that way also.