PDA

View Full Version : Identical instances in different phases

mikeinsverige
2011-09-12, 06:42 AM
In Revit Arch 2011, we have ceilings in the phase called Existing. The ceilings are demolished in the phase New. Also in the phase New, we have new ceilings created, in the same exact place and shape. Now, Revit is saying there are identical instances in the same place.

Am I not using phasing properly? If I had demolished the ceilings in the same phase they were created (Existing) then I thought Revit would call them as Temporary.

It is a real example - taking out old ceilings and putting in some new upgraded ones.

(similar question to this thread, but slightly different http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=106960)

Mike Sealander
2011-09-12, 12:01 PM
Make sure there wasn't some unintentional pilot error and you actually have two new ceilings, or two existing ceilings. From your description, you are using phasing and demolition correctly.

Steve_Stafford
2011-09-12, 04:18 PM
In past releases Revit was willing to let a user place multiple ceilings in the same place without a warning (using the Auto Ceiling feature). That means it is really easy to click twice or three times in the same place, usually by accident when forgetting to finish the ceiling tool (favoring defending the innocent). Most likely you can resolve it just by eliminating the extra(s).

SamuelAB
2011-09-13, 04:07 PM
What Steve said, click your ceiling and click delete to see if you accidentally place two ceiling in the same location. I've seen students with about 40 ceilings in the same location, they could not see the ceiling they were creating.

From your description, it may also be an error from Revit thinking that ceiling in different phases are an error. Maybe try to have different components to the ceiling? If it's just an error message, you can ignore it assuming that you are confident there are no superimposed ceilings.

rosskirby
2011-09-13, 06:21 PM
I've gotten this error several times, as well. I think it has something to do with new fixtures cutting into the existing ceiling, or vice versa. There must be some elements that are cutting the ceilings across phases. But, if you've demolished the ceiling in the appropriate phase, it shouldn't be a problem.

mikeinsverige
2011-09-23, 11:39 AM
It does seem to be better when I change the type so that the two different phases have different ceiling types.
Now, I am having a similar issue with duplicate instances in two different design options. I understand that if something is the same, it should be in the main model, not a design option. In this case I have the same shape and height of ceiling, but different "types". Still, the identical warning. (attached).
I suppose I am not as concerned this time, because the design options will only be in the model for a short amount of time.