PDA

View Full Version : 3D reference

The Monk
2011-09-13, 02:03 PM
We have been detailing using the 3D capacity of Revit for sometime.And to reference those details we have created a dummy tag which requires manual managment. I want to make sure we have not missed a step which would allow the Callout tool to be used. Or another tool.

If someone has an answer for this I would be keenly interested!

Thanks,

John

cliff collins
2011-09-13, 02:12 PM
Take a look at Parts and Assemblies in Revit 2012. You can "lock" a 3D view, create Assemblies and Parts,
and create 3D views and place on Sheets--with references. Pretty cool.

cheers

The Monk
2011-09-13, 03:01 PM
Thanks Cliff ... We have been working with the locking feature for 2012 as well as the Create Parts tool. What I am interested in knowing is if there is a reference tag I can use to identify the placed 3D view. If you select the Callout tool; Reference other views function; 3D views are not listed - at least not that I can see.

I was wondering if there is a checkbox I should be selecting so the Callout tool will see 3D views.

How do you handel that coordination?

John

cliff collins
2011-09-13, 03:16 PM
You can't reference 3D views using ref other views.

However, the new Assemblies and Sheets method may be useful for this purpose.

See if this may be helpful:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/community/videos/Construction_Modeling/Creating_and_Documenting_Assemblies

cheers

The Monk
2011-09-13, 03:39 PM
Thanks again Cliff. I've looked at that as well. It does not address the problem. That was part of the reason for my post. But I really appreciate the suggestion.

How are is the business in St Louis?

John

The Monk
2011-09-15, 08:14 PM
As with most things with Revit if you think about it long enough you can find a solution - and like this condition it is not a real pretty solutuion!

What I did was create a callout view at the plan condition area for the 3D view I'm detailing. Then I placed the callout view on the sheet along with the 3D view. I selected the 3D view viewport and set the detail number to 99. And I set the display to None so it would not display. I then acivated the dummy plan view call out and selected objects and hid them in that view. I set the detail number to the one I wanted. And set the view name to the view name I wanted for the 3D view. BEWARE - I noticed some objects not displaying in my 3D view when I hid them in the dummy callout view - not sure why - but....

The final step was moving the view title to the location I wanted. And now the floor plan tag and the view are linked - kind of! When I changed the sheet number the floor plan tag updated as you would expect.

The downside is if I were to move the 3D view to a new location I need to move the dummy callout view as well. Given there is not another facility within Revit (short of a dummy detail tag with no intelligence) this works pretty good.

I hope the Revit programmers are reading this!

John