PDA

View Full Version : Layers to models

dpasa
2005-01-15, 07:51 AM
I made this wall and floor as a family (modeling->create->wall,floor)
I used paint tool to assign materials. It doesn't seem possible to make layers for these objects. Is there a way? If not, I think it is a good wishlist item. I can think of many cases someone would use this kind of models.

Also since it is called a wall, it should have an "attach" command. This is not happening.
I can only use "join geometry" to clean the bottom right part.
Also, you can't flip sides which is understandable since you are supposed to make the wall as you need it. But I think that layers should be a possibility for both wall and floor because you can't have correct sections without them.

beegee
2005-01-15, 08:01 AM
Can you elaborate on the advantages of creating walls and floors as in-place families, using straightforward, standard shapes, as opposed to Revit's system families of walls and floors which do allow for layers and will attach to other elements.

dpasa
2005-01-15, 10:48 AM
I know that some things that are useful to me, mean nothing to someone else, but if you check the floor for example, you can see that it is a floor and a ramp at the same time.It has to be covered with a ceramic or mosaic tile for example.
The wall is not very usefull of course, but if something can be done for one model I guess it will be done for every similar case.

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-15, 04:46 PM
What BeeGee is saying is that your example can be done with 'normal' walls and floors...this example was...

Wall is attached to the floor, a void cuts the angle and notch into the wall thickness. The floor has a slope applied to the right half. It's an approximation...